Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 08-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Sp3ctre18 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sp3ctre18
Question What do you call a piece made up of layering ostinatos?

Hello, all,

I've long wanted to know if there's a better way to describe the process of starting music with a very simple motif or rhythm and repeating it for the rest of the piece, then adding another motif or rhythm through another instrument, and doing the same. It's like building a piece out of loops. Even if it's not a single term, I'm looking for the best way to express it.

Best example that comes to mind is SimCity 3000's Building and Illumination (the latter only after a long intro), although my favorite is Concrete Jungle, which does this more quickly after the oboe intro, but allows a melody over it and other disruptions of the pattern toward the end.

There's also Umber Wall from MechWarrior 2, breaking it with a section inserted into the middle.

Struggle for Pleasure does this to a lesser extent, keeping an ostinato set while bringing top-level layers in and out at different points before playing with it more toward the end.

That would be a second question; any good way to call a set of ostinato lines, like that whole ostinato foundation of Struggle for Pleasure?

Thanks.
This Can Be Pronounced: My Project for Supporting & Advising on Foreign Language Studies
Old 08-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

wine888riter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp3ctre18 View Post
Hello, all,

I've long wanted to know if there's a better way to describe the process of starting music with a very simple motif or rhythm and repeating it for the rest of the piece, then adding another motif or rhythm through another instrument, and doing the same. .
Well, I thought of Beethoven's 5th symphony, but there might be more to that one.