Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM

bluestar is on a distinguished road
Default Realistic Legato: Nick Phoenix Demos

Dear Mr. Nick,

I was listening to your demos on your website and I have to admit I really enjoyed them. I do have a question for your however: How do you achieve such realistic legato violin lines? I am an EWQL Platinum (Kontakt edition) user, and I've been trying to achieve similar effects. Somehow some of your demos still are more lyrical. Here is what I mean:

http://www.nickphoenix.com/index.php?page=mp3

A Shadow Of Beauty
starting 1:00
1:17 beautiful portamento (how?)

Fill My Heart
starting 1:47

Equus
ending line at 2:19

I try using the Qlegato patches but I'm not truly satisfied with the effect. Do you recommend using the ModXfd patches? Or maybe Keyswitches?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

johng is on a distinguished road

there may be samples in there as well for support, but those sound like real players to me

John Graham
www.johngrahammusic.com
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

james 7275 is on a distinguished road

Yes I'd like to know too if some of those strings parts are some real players in your music, or if it's all samples... Sounds pretty real to me.

maybe you could also share some ideas on how you acheive such a realistic sound.

Btw your Demos kick ass!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

nostaller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by james 7275 View Post
Yes I'd like to know too if some of those strings parts are some real players in your music, or if it's all samples... Sounds pretty real to me.

maybe you could also share some ideas on how you acheive such a realistic sound.

Btw your Demos kick ass!
Nick sometimes mentioned that he didn't produce VI orchestras to make musicians jobless. I think after all he has achieved in the digital virtual world, he really enjoys recording live musicians for his own music ...
There might be a reason why the musicallity of many musicians sound better than "one mans musicallity" who trys to emulate every musician ...

cheers, nostaller

Last edited by nostaller; 12-04-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Platinum˛ Member

paulwr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaller View Post
Nick sometimes mentioned that he didn't produce VI orchestras to make musicians jobless. I think after all he has achieved in the digital virtual world, he really enjoys recording live musicians for his own music ...
There might be a reason why the musicallity of many musicians sound better than "one mans musicallity" who trys to emulate every musician ...

cheers, nostaller
Yes, there is still no true substitute for a sweet string section! I'm hoping I can get some budgets next year to take advantage of the great players here in Nashville. They can compete soundwise with anybody, and read like LA and London. Very impressed with the musicianship here, no matter the style. Anyone wanting a definitive step up from the Seattle or Salt Lake orchestras......... depending on your project class, it could come out the same or less since these guys read so well. More per hour per musician, but again, depending on the class of work, maybe only $15 more or so.

-Paul
Old 12-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwr View Post
Yes, there is still no true substitute for a sweet string section! I'm hoping I can get some budgets next year to take advantage of the great players here in Nashville. They can compete soundwise with anybody, and read like LA and London. Very impressed with the musicianship here, no matter the style. Anyone wanting a definitive step up from the Seattle or Salt Lake orchestras......... depending on your project class, it could come out the same or less since these guys read so well. More per hour per musician, but again, depending on the class of work, maybe only $15 more or so.

-Paul
o man, sight-reading is something I miss in my abilities as a musician... its really an advantage that musicians can read fast ... not only because it is cheaper and faster for recording purposes )

cheers, nostaller
Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Platinum˛ Member

paulwr is on a distinguished road

Yea, I'm pretty bad myself. My sister is a reading machine at the piano. Together, we make one pianist............

-Paul
Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yea, I'm pretty bad myself. My sister is a reading machine at the piano. Together, we make one pianist............

-Paul
weird, i can say this about my girlfriend to. Together, we make one pianist............

cheers,

nostaller
Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Diamond Member

A.Leung is on a distinguished road

Quote:

-Paul
I love it.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

MellotronGhost is on a distinguished road

i cheat and use some vienna samples for portamento though their only halfway affordable string section has only 2(!!!) velocity layers in the portamento patches (what a shame, i am spoiled by EWQLSO). legato options have improved in the play version but it does take a lot of experimenting and certainly does not replace real players.
Closed Thread

Tags
legato, portamento