Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM

bluestar is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hey guys.
True, nothing replaces a wonderful live orchestra. But only a REALLY GOOD orchestra. Coz if you get mediocre players, then unfortunately, you might be surprised, but in some cases samples might actually sound better... :P
Anyway, back to the topic of this subject. I don't believe that Nick Phoenix actually has live players on those demos. My experience with Virtual Instruments, including those released by East-West, leads me to believe that those are indeed high quality samples. I'm just trying to figure out what is the trick behind achieving such beautiful lines...

Thanks!
David
Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

muzik is on a distinguished road

my hopes would be that he does not use live players in these demos, or that would be false advertizing of the product. (no different than a 5 star picture for a 1 star resort). However, I think the mere fact that we're debating the demo's being real or not demonstrates the ability of EW's products.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

johng is on a distinguished road

whoa! these are not product demos, nor are they held up to be product demos, so there is nothing improper about including live players.

It is mistaken to say that it's false advertising when no advertising at all is taking place. This is Nick's personal web site, not a sales site. Those are Nick's personal demos and those are real players or...something.

BUT

David is certainly right that samples have reached the level where only quite good players, properly recorded and mixed, can make one's tracks sound better.

John Graham
www.johngrahammusic.com
Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Diamond Member

A.Leung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzik View Post
my hopes would be that he does not use live players in these demos, or that would be false advertizing of the product. (no different than a 5 star picture for a 1 star resort). However, I think the mere fact that we're debating the demo's being real or not demonstrates the ability of EW's products.
Where does it say that they are product demos? Nicks work spans beyond his involvement with EastWest...

Last edited by admin; 12-07-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Gold Member

Nick Phoenix will become famous soon enough

The music on my personal site has some live strings on a few cues. The rest is EWQLSO etc. There is a video of me recording live strings for the new Star Trek trailer on there as well. I think it's important to record live instruments when you can.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:40 AM

bluestar is on a distinguished road

Thank you Nick for your answer. This really helps.
Have a great weekend!
David
Closed Thread

Tags
legato, portamento