Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 PM

TripsD is on a distinguished road
Default Gypsy supposed to have Portamento script on short patches?

I just received Gypsy recently and it sounds great, but there seems to be a portamento script as a result of legato detection that is present on every patch, including the short ones.

For example:

When using the violin spiccato patch or one of the guitars, the subtle slide becomes much more obvious to the point where as a whole it starts to sound ridiculous. As opposed to having a nice spicc violin run, I get this sliding between notes which takes away any realism. It's especially obvious when chords or double stops are played at contrasting regions of the violin (ex. Open G + D to B + G on the top strings)

If there's something small I've missed I'd really appreciate a response.

Thanks

Last edited by TripsD; 06-04-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:33 PM

astavi is on a distinguished road

I don't have Gypsy *yet*, but at least in the symphonic orchestra, you can enable/disable portamento and legato. If you were to link them to the modwheel somehow (eg legato 1-63, portamento 64-127), you could avoid slides where they don't belong.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 PM

I asked tech support about it and they claimed that nothing was wrong. Although I appreciate the response, I still disagree and have posted a link below to a short demo of what I'm talking about. Maybe some others will have an input.

Although sliding in gypsy (and other styles) is a great ornament, it is definetely not used on every note, especially fretted instruments such as the guitar that don't even perform true glissandi.

The demo plays the same sequence twice. The first with the gypsy violin, and the second with the Flamenco Lead. (These are the only two instruments that I'm having this problem with. The support suggested not to overlap the notes to avoid the script, but when I do that, then I lose the legato and get an attack sample on every note which also sounds terrible.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/djh1yyemmdd/Gypsy Demo.mp3

It's a short sequence made to exaggerate the problem; however, using it in actual pieces is almost the same depending on the work. I'm very happy with the quality of the library, but this issue renders these instruments almost useless. I'm hoping there is something that I've overlooked because I can't see this library intending to perform in this way.

Also, if it is intentional (I guess for a gypsy-stylistic thing), then it makes the violin unusable in other styles as advertised on the home page (being used for classical as well as gypsy)

Last edited by TripsD; 07-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:23 PM

The resulting effect sounds like a joke, as you get a quick slide between every note. It's making me pretty upset.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

wes bender is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripsD View Post
The resulting effect sounds like a joke, as you get a quick slide between every note. It's making me pretty upset.
I know exactly what you're talking about, which is why I have mixed feelings about the Gypsy library. It sounds great in certain settings, but it's not near as versatile as you would hope it to be. For example, the pizz with the violin just sounds dreadful. I realize it's supposed to be in a "gypsy" styling, but I think versatility is far more important as many people get this library to use the violin as a versatile solo instrument, not to write "gypsy" styled songs.

I really only use the legato MOD patch with the violin, and maybe 2 or 3 articulations out of the master violin patch, which is kind of frustrating as I thought the instrument would be more versatile. That said, the legato MOD patch does sound very good.

And as far as the guitars go, some of the samples sound wonderful, while some just sound bad and out of place, they have this weird twangy sound, even at lower velocities that classical guitars do not have. It makes it difficult to play a complete part with the instrument.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Yes I know, the pizz is more of an effect than a real pizz.

I also can't play double stops with the spicc violin patch because of the legato detection. As soon as I play two notes, (even if they are at the same time) the detection seems to think that I'm going from one to the other and creates a slide between the notes.

I get the same thing for short notes in succession , so basically I can't use the short patches.

The legato does work very well though.
Closed Thread

Tags
gypsy, legato, violin