Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

DonaldM is on a distinguished road
Default Audio Interfaces

I'm looking to change my audio interface. Currently I've been using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, and its got a great sound and in the 4 years I've had it, not a single issue with the hardware itself. The one problem I have had relates to things going awry with sample rate switching, which I do from time to time, depending on the session. When I'm scoring for a video, I work in 48k sample. For just audio, 44.1k. My DAW is Pro Tools 12.7. I know part of the issue relates to how Pro Tools reacts to sample rate changes on the interface, but it is unlikely that Focusrite is ever going to update the drivers for this model, since its no longer in production. And this issue is just a headache.

So, I'm looking for something else in the $3-500 range. One possibility is the MOTU Audio Express 6x6. I don't require many inputs because most of what I do is "in the box", and I don't have all that much outboard hardware gear I'd need to plug into the interface. However, a couple of good mic ports and line inputs are good, for the few times I might want to mic something. I definitely need S/PDif In/Out, as that is how I route Audio out to my JBL LSR 4326 monitors. And I use the S/PDif in for sound out of my Yamaha Motif XS8, which is also my main MIDI controller.

I also need Audio Loopback, as I need to use that at times.

I've been pleased with sound quality of the Focusrite, but as I said, Focusrite doesn't seem to want to fix or do anything about the sample rate issue for Pro Tools users. Its not just my model that has the issue, as other Focusrite users have had the exact same issue.

All that said, what other audio interfaces might you all suggest? I wish there was some kind of selector matrix out there where you could enter your required parameters and 5-6 suggestions would pop up to look at!
Old 10-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Windows or Mac?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
Windows or Mac?
Windows. Should have mentioned that.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 AM

Digitalelf is on a distinguished road
Default Which Audio Interface?

DonaldM,

You might want to look at: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
USB 2.0 Audio Interface, 18-in/8-out, 24-bit/192kHz, with 4 Mic Preamps, 8 ADAT Inputs, and Bundled Software - Mac/PC at www.sweetwater.com

Personally I purchased from them the Antelope 32+ HD which is much more expensive but offers many more choices. The Focusrite works on PC/Mac platforms and is highly rated. Good Luck!

Custom Made DAW Computer System by REMIS COMPUTER SOLUTIONS consisting of an Intel i9 7900x 10 core/20 thread 3.3ghz; AsRock Fatality x299; 64gb Ram; Windows 10, Cubase Pro 9; Antelope Orion 32+ HD audio system; Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass, Hollywood Orchestra, Hollywood Woodwinds, Symphonic Orchestra, EWQL Pianos, Ministry of Rock 2, Voices of Passion, Gypsy, Silk, QL Spaces.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalelf View Post
DonaldM,

You might want to look at: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
USB 2.0 Audio Interface, 18-in/8-out, 24-bit/192kHz, with 4 Mic Preamps, 8 ADAT Inputs, and Bundled Software - Mac/PC at www.sweetwater.com

Personally I purchased from them the Antelope 32+ HD which is much more expensive but offers many more choices. The Focusrite works on PC/Mac platforms and is highly rated. Good Luck!
The 18i8 is way more than I need. I have no need for all the extra inputs. As I mentioned, I have the Scarlett 8i6 now and its all the inputs I really need. What critical for me besides the inputs is S/PDif In/Out, Audio Loopback, and excellent sound quality. Also, I need one that isn't going to cause issues with Pro Tools every time I need to change sample rates. That's the issue I (and many others) keep having with Focusrite and Pro Tools.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

You could look for a 2nd hand RME Babyface. You can pick them up on ebay for 400-500. The drivers are rock solid - just make sure you check the specs to ensure it is what you need.

I have an RME HDSP3296 as my inferface and use the Babyface on a mobile rig if need be. Great interface.