Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 09-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Henrique Dib is on a distinguished road
Default NEW iMac Pro 2017 - powerful enough??

Hi guys,

I have been away for a while but plan to be back now as I will be taking next year off from teaching to go full-time with composition.

Question:

Although I would like to wait for the new "modular" Mac Pro which Apple says comes out in 2018, but no one knows for sure when...I can't wait any longer.

So...Is the new iMac Pro (10 cores) which is coming in December powerfull enough to run EW hollywood orchestra with Omnisphere and Komplete 11, ozone 7, etc... I plan to continue writting large orchestral works but also doing a lot more corporate and "light" work. I use Logic Pro X, BTW.

I currently have a fully boosted MacPro 2009 (2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon) with lots of SSDs and 40Gb of Ram. But it's showing signs that it can't handle some taks well anymore due to old processor and slow memory. So, I need to run a serious upgrade in my studio.

...or...would the new iMac 27" 5K (quad-core Intel Core i7) which is quite cheaper be good enough as I don't need too much power in graphics? The problem with that is that it only comes with 4 cores. I know we don't need a 5K display, but at the same time it would be great since I will be spending very long hours every day in front of it, right?

Also, just confirming...The more cores we have the better for Logic Pro X as it does use multi-core processing split in several trakcs, right?

I know I can get cheaper slaves computers, but I would still prefer to have only one computer to compose as I just find it a easier and quicker.

I would really like to know what you guys think about it.

Thanks

Mac Pro (early 2009)
"Nehalem" processor 2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8 cores)
40Gbs RAM, Logic Pro 10.3.2, El capitan 10.11.6

Last edited by Henrique Dib; 09-14-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

For starters, how big are the templates you topically work with? Do you plan on loading 500 tracks, or just what you need. That will play a big part in what you actually need.

PS- the new 10-core iMacs are going to be killer expensive.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 PM

Hey jspencer,

thanks for the reply. Not 500 tracks, but some of my orchestral stuff can get up to 150. My main issue is the Hollywood orchestra which, as we know, can be pretty heavy on the CPU. I had big templates before but now I kind of add tracks as I need them.

I know the new iMac pro will be expensive, but it's been 8 years since I bought my MacPro 2009, so I think it is time for a major update. what do you think? I would rather wait for the macpro 2018, but the thing is that i need to get start by very early next year and as nobody knows for sure when the new macpro will be released, I guess a new iMac pro (knowing that it will be hard to upgrade) would keep me going for the next 5 years or so. Do you agree?

Mac Pro (early 2009)
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Diamond Member

In your scenario, I'd would probably go with a recent quad core 27" iMac, with 64 GB Ram and an internal 512GB SSD. You could then get a Thunderbolt 3 dock (Cal-Digit for example) to host your external SSD's and other peripherals. You could still connect additional displays; but my gripe with the iMac is that you're stuck with the 27" display. Not a bad thing, but I prefer to have the displays totally separate.

I know you're not a fan of slaves, but IMO it's the way to go. I use a 2013 quad core MacBook Pro (running Logic X) master, along with a quad core PC slave via VEPro and two additional displays. Regardless of your choice, VEPro is a huge benefit when using Logic Pro (even on a single machine). Not only does it allow better core distribution, keeps everything loaded between projects.

Apple has a 14 day grace period, so you could try a new iMac, put it through the ringer, and return it if you want to wait for something else.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the reply!!! You have good points in there! I am on my way to an apple shop to test drive the new iMac then! Let's see...thank you again for your time and attention! I really appreciate it! ��

Mac Pro (early 2009)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Sure do get a lot more bang for the buck with a Windows set up. Your clock speed of 2.26ghz is likely where the slowdown is from if your using processors like compressors, delays, reverb, etc. One of the guys on here just had a 10 core(overclockable) built by the same company that built my set up and he says it's a monster. More cores for VI's, and high clock speeds for processors.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdsee View Post
Sure do get a lot more bang for the buck with a Windows set up. Your clock speed of 2.26ghz is likely where the slowdown is from if your using processors like compressors, delays, reverb, etc. One of the guys on here just had a 10 core(overclockable) built by the same company that built my set up and he says it's a monster. More cores for VI's, and high clock speeds for processors.
Except we love using Logic
Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

JBlongz is on a distinguished road

Powerful indeed, but thermal will be the ultimate bottleneck. Once the core temp reaches sensor max value, it will throttle the clock speed. Thats my strong bet.