Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 AM

keyman1216 is on a distinguished road
Default Learning Symphonic vs. Hollywood

I am about to get the Composer Cloud after having used EWQL Symphony Orchestra for a little while. Last year I purchased the Groove 3 Video tutorial on this but didn't use it because when I upgraded my PLAY engine, my EWQL stopped loading. I gave up on a solution because I knew I was going to upgrade my entire system. My question is:

Since I want to focus on Hollywood (as I'm not a classical composer), will it be worthwhile to go through this tutorial which has topics such as portamento scripts, legato script, round robin, etc. In other words, will these be very helpful to me when I use the Hollywood version?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road

I've got the Groove3 subscription and have watched several vids pertaining to all this, and the content is good, but then I came acrossed this video training set and it blew the others away, for several reasons. First, David Earl is the MOST listenable trainer out there, by three orders of magnitude. Second, he covers both SO and HO in such realtime depth, it's crazy. Third, he explains the articulations and HOW to best use them with these libraries, and last, he's a great composer so you are getting it from the horse's mouth. If I'm reading your question right, this course is for you. I didn't think it would be much until I started it... if you own EW stuff and want to do composing especially within film scoring, this one is great. https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial...-film-tv-games
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS Mic and a Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space w/backup drives. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:06 PM

keyman1216 is on a distinguished road

This is an even better answer than what I was looking for. Thank-you.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM

You're welcome! Two weeks ago I wouldn't have had an answer, lol. I went through the whole course, but now I'm going back through with a notebook. He demystifies everything, even the code letters in the instrument names. What a resource, awesome.
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS Mic and a Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space w/backup drives. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

jdmcox is on a distinguished road

I agree that the macProVideo EastWest 103 tutorial is excellent. I downloaded it for $29.50. The website is a little confusing because they offer a lot of tutorials, but I only wanted this one. And the downloading is a little confusing, but it's like playing a game, and I won.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 AM

LOL, good deal. Yeah, it's a little twisted on there. AND, I just found out that their iOS app is so old it will NOT run in iOS11, I just tried it. I'll be emailing them about THAT. I like their app more than Groove3's because it will play the whole course like a playlist. First world problems...
Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Wow, I wrote MacProVideo about the app issue and they responded within 15 minutes with the link to their new app. I installed it and it works. Great customer support! For iOS users, here's the app: AskVideo
Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM

StudioRyde is on a distinguished road

Hi,

With Hollywood Solo Violins I can have portamento with CC65#127 and CC5#60 ( any value to CC5 works ). After about five playbacks, the portamento stops doing its job. Very anoying because the only solution to get the work done on time for the contract is to use pitch bend and configuring the track in Advanced Intrument Properties / Instrument Properties / Pitch Bend. The sound in not the same compared to a well worked sound portemento by EastWest.

What is the problem ?

i7 3770 @3.4 GHz / 32 Gb RAM

Thanks
Richard André Desjardins for Studio Ryde
Old 09-25-2017, 02:04 PM

Wow, Richard, that's a strange anomaly... I would definitely post this in its own thread to get some eyes on it. This thread is just Keyman and me shooting the breeze about training videos, I don't think anyone will really see your question here. Hope you sort it out!
Old 09-25-2017, 03:12 PM

StudioRyde is on a distinguished road

OK thanks. I'll do that.

Richard André Desjardins