Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 09-30-2017, 12:28 PM

Scott Collins is on a distinguished road
Default Divisi via scripting in the PLAY engine?

Hello,

Just curious if anyone else has wondered about the feasibility of the PLAY engine automatically engaging Divisi string sections by detecting multiple voices?

It doesn't sound unreasonable to me. If the PLAY engine detects more than one note simultaneously it'd simply trigger the relevant Divisi articulations. Of course, there'd be a limit (i.e. if more than two notes are sounding, the engine would just double one of the Divisi sections or whatever), but to me this would be wonderful.

This is the one thing that has held me back from upgrading to Diamond... I want the Divisi sections because I'm chasing an authentic orchestral experience, but I don't want the hassle of multiple staves in Sibelius. I want to be able to write for the PLAY engine just like I would for an orchestra (to the degree possible.)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

George Bellas is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb A.I. Based Auto-Divisi

I like this idea, but...

Keep in mind that, in a live orchestral context, if the players are highly skilled and the passage is possible, the fuller sound of non-divisi is sometimes desired.

While I do like the idea of Artificial Intelligence determined auto-divisi, I would prefer there to be an active/deactivate preference within PLAY so when divisi is NOT to be employed we would still have that option (in order to retain the fuller sound of all desks in unison).

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6, Logic Pro X, PLAY 5, RME RayDAT, Focusrite Red Series and ISA Mic Pres, Apogee Converters, Coleman Audio SR5.1 MKII

Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass Diamond, Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, Symphonic Choirs, QL Pianos, Silk, Voices of Passion, Stormdrum 2, Gypsy, Goliath, Ministry of Rock, Voices of the Apocalypse, Superior Drummer, VE Pro, Spaces
Old 10-02-2017, 11:33 AM

Scott Collins is on a distinguished road

Hi George,

Agreed! Let's add that as Requirement #2: "Ability for user to activate or deactive Auto-Divisi via PLAY interface."

I'll be glad to manage the rest of the requirements if EW will put us on the roadmap! :-)

-S

Tags
divisi, hollywood stings