Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

wish910 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to wish910
Default Reverb / Compressor on Piano

Hey, guys:

https://soundcloud.com/a-de-chen/a-piano-piece-20170924

This is my original short piano piece and I consider to add reverb and compressor.
If I don't let the warm piano sound be much affected/distorted, is there any plug-ins you recommend?

Many thanks
Best
Old 09-26-2017, 08:37 PM

dv1651st is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's stellar!! Try using an upward downward compressor like OTT, (or a good one that I heard of recently is Skynote SoundBrigade) and blend it with the dry signal until you find a sound that suits you.. Also for reverb, try putting on a good convolution, and ajust play around with different impulses.

Last edited by dv1651st; 09-26-2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

I would caution against compression (evrn parallel compression) unless you 1) Have a very transparent compressor and 2) you know precisely what you are doing. One of the beautiful things about solo piano is natural dynamic variation. Compression by definition will reduce that variation.

Honestly some reverb would help. Think about what sort of space you want the instrument to sound in and look for a verb that emulates it. Halls and longer plates can work really well as can shorter reverbs. Chose the space you want and start to dial it in to taste.

If you have QL Spaces the verbs in there would be a great place to start.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Spaces is my go to Reverb and sounds stellar IMO. Check out Klanghelm. Their MJUC compressor's for only 24 Euros is a real deal indeed. It comes with 3 different compressors that go from colored to transparent. Plus it has mix control which makes Parallel compression easier, and side chain frequency control to experiment with low frequency compression control. You can mix in just a bit of compression and still retain that all important dynamic range that makes Piano so expressive. Model MK3 is very transparent, plus the other more colored models will be good for other tasks like vocals etc. Plus take advantage of their free plugins too. Their free compressor is very good, but has tube color which is great in some cases and not as good in others.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

wish910 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to wish910

Many thanks!!

Thanks for your suggestions and tips.

I will try the reverbs of QLSpace.

But for compressor, it isn't an easy part for me; actually, I can't distinguish the difference between the various setting values. I can just feel that as the Ratio going from 1:1 to 3:1, the dynamic range becomes lower; that means, the piano sounds gets not natural at this time.

The second phenomenon I have to overcome is that, in the Piano sound library, the volumes of each piano sample with different dynamics are quite different. This results in my melodies going with unstable volumes.

Hope I can improve them!

Again, thanks for your tips and experience!