Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 08-19-2017, 07:03 AM

Mickeyrouse is on a distinguished road
Default New user quandary

I've been a possessor- I hardly qualify as a user- of Hollywood Brass and Strings (both gold) for about a year. I'm using this in Windows with Pro Tools.
I seem to come closer to finding satisfactory sounds in Strings than Brass, though that is not always assured. In Brass, it seems that no matter what instrument ( withinin a particular horn, -solo trumpet, for example) I select, there is usually little (if any ) discernable difference, other than mutes. Often playback gain, despite all sliders being maxed, is usable only If I add some additional plug-in. And I have never found an acceptable horn sound- never a mellow trumpet, only something piercing and harsh. I modify that a little in velocity control, but then the playback gain gets reduced. Finally, the sound is very reflective, meaning it sounds like it was recorded in a very live but not very good sounding small room- sounds almost like a really quick echo. According to the Play documentation, there is an echo control somewhere on the player screen, but I don't find it- my version of Play has a build date on Sept 2016, supposedly the current version.
Strings gives me better results, though not consistently.
Confusing me here are the articulations that appear. On any given instrument , there are usually three or more choices. In my limited experience, it is unlikely that the choices would all be desired simultaneously. How do I select these for the desired place in a piece? I realize I can bounce/render to audio each part successively, but that could mean hundreds, or more, of such individual bounces with the attendant editing challenges.
One recurring problem in Strings is an effect of (for example) a whole note played legato that seems to play a little behind the beat. It acts like latency, but I haven't had any latency issues with other instrument samplers (Sample Modeling, Native Instruments, Expand). I have semi-dealt with this by putting each part of a string section on a separate track with its on instance of Brass or Strings as the case may be, but that creates a memory hog, and doesn't always work. A similar problem is, for example, the 2nd or 3rd note of a short passage being severly demodulated.
In hearing some of the examples put up there is no question of the capabilities- I'm just not getting them.
Thanks for your support.

Last edited by Mickeyrouse; 08-19-2017 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Silver Member

Raden Agung is on a distinguished road

I use Pro Tools also for making orchestral music, specially using Hollywood Orchestra for 2 years. Have you tried to play the Hollywood Orchestra with Modulation wheel on your keyboard controller? if you want get mellow sound try play and record it the expression with Mod wheel.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Bryan is on a distinguished road

Use the mod wheel for a softer sound in brass. The lag on strings is because it is a legato instrument. The lag is necessary for the legato transition. You must play ahead of the beat or adjust the midi afterwards which is what most people do.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 AM

I'm not using a keyboard controller- all notes are entered directly via mouse on the piano roll. I assume the mod wheel would modified to taste on the controller lane or by CC in the MIDI event list.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:19 AM

What articulation in Strings other than a staccato that will play more on the beat?
Old 08-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

You are completely missing out on how expressive these libraries truly are if you aren't using a keyboard controller and MOD wheel.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:13 AM

Not being a keyboard player I don't grasp just how that would work. For better or worse, my work mode is direct entry, with notes modified by control codes key swirches and articulation choice. I am also using Sample Mideling for saxes, and that approach will usually give me what I think I want.