Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

janat is on a distinguished road
Default How good a system do you need for 24 bit samples?

I searched through this forum but didn't find the answer. I'm wondering what kind of a system can handle for example EWQLSO 24 bit patches.

With the CCC I could get EWQLSO Platinum for about the same price as Gold plus close mic positions. I have a pretty decent system, but am unsure if it can handle Platinum. The specs are Win 7 64 bit, i7 920 @ 3.7 GHz, 6 GB RAM, SSD for system, DAW and Play, 7200 rpm HDD (Samsung F3) for samples.

I'd also like to know whether the mic position upgrades are available as a dowload or DVD only. And do I have to pay tax in addition to the list price?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

ToddK is on a distinguished road

If it means anything, i have an i7 950 and 12 gigs or ram, and i can load and run just about every patch in EWQLSO Gold Pro.

I think you could run Platinum just fine as is, but a few extra gigs of ram would help.

Also, looks like you're using an SSD for your system drive. You really should be using that drive as your sample drive.

Its doing you no good as a system drive. That wont help performance wise. Windows may boot up faster, but thats about it.

TK
Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, Todd.

So, I can probably use Platinum without a problem. How many patches can you load with multiple mic positions and play it in rea time? Also, could someone who actually has Platinum tell me how well it runs, too?

I think I'll up the ram to 20GB, that must be enough. The computer isn't dedicated to making music, and I really need the SSD as the system drive. With 20GB ram, I think I can load so many patches to ram that there won't be serious problems with hdd streaming.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

Wolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by janat
So, I can probably use Platinum without a problem.
Yes.

Quote:
How many patches can you load with multiple mic positions and play it in rea time?
How large are your projects going to be? There's many factors that can influence the total number of tracks you can play simultaneously, but I believe it's safe to say that this should not be a concern..., especially if you're going to increase the RAM at your disposal. How many DIMM slots does your motherboard offer?

Quote:
The computer isn't dedicated to making music
And there's nothing wrong with that, BUT you will soon realize that you may have to turn off/disable some of your hardware components and/or services such as the wifi and the anti-virus app. (assuming you use this machine to access the internet) while using your sequencer and large libraries such as EastWest's offerings. Any apps. or utilities that "auto" update in the background could also potentially create some drop outs while you're working. But you probably know this already.

Quote:
and I really need the SSD as the system drive
A small capacity SSD for the OS and apps. is a good compromise. And they do offer more than just faster boot times. But until they come down in price while increasing storage capacity, they remain out of reach for many of us. And they really do have no equal performance-wise when dealing with large libraries.

Not sure if you've seen this already, if not, you may find it interesting.

Hope this is helpful and good luck to you!

jc

Dedicated DAW

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (x64)
Asus P8Z68-V Pro - Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz
Noctua NH-C14 cooling solution (1 fan @ 140mm in a low-profile configuration)
Antec Take 3 rackmount 3u case - 650w PSU
16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis - DDR3 dual-channel @ 1600MHz (4 x 4)
1 x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 - SSD (SATA 3 - 6Gbps)
2 x 600GB Maxtor Velociraptors @ 10k rpm - 32MB Cache (SATA 3 - 6Gbps)
1 x 1TB WD Caviar Black @ 7200rpm - 64MB cache (SATA 3 - 6Gbps)
1 x 2TB Seagate GoFlex External @ 5400 rpm - 32MB Cache (USB 3.0 - 4.8Gbps)

EWQL SO Platinum + | EWQL CCC | QL Pianos | QL RA | QL SPACES | PLAY 6

Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Wolf, your post was really helpful. I'm now running 16GB of RAM, and have 2 slots free in case I need more in future. I think I'll be fine with my current setup, and can always move some of the more HDD intensive samples to my SSD if the HDD can't handle them.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Platinum˛ Member

aptmusic9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by janat View Post
I searched through this forum but didn't find the answer. I'm wondering what kind of a system can handle for example EWQLSO 24 bit patches.

With the CCC I could get EWQLSO Platinum for about the same price as Gold plus close mic positions. I have a pretty decent system, but am unsure if it can handle Platinum. The specs are Win 7 64 bit, i7 920 @ 3.7 GHz, 6 GB RAM, SSD for system, DAW and Play, 7200 rpm HDD (Samsung F3) for samples.

I'd also like to know whether the mic position upgrades are available as a dowload or DVD only. And do I have to pay tax in addition to the list price?
Jeez that should be epic, but a little low on RAM. 12GB or 16GB in 4GB size modules would be a better choice, and that leaves you some room to expand to 24GB should you deem it to be necessary. SSD system drive is a luxury, but you'll have to watch your disk use very carefully....

Is this from a PC dealer? Make sure you are getting a good deal.....Its probably a lot cheaper to build it yourself, and you'd probably be better off with having multiple 7200 drives for samples. Also, I might suggest a 930, 950, or even 980 if you can afford it. It'll give you some overflow protection on a super big project. An i7 920 running at 3.7 is overclocked, which might perform just as well, but the higher ranked 9xx processors are designed to run at the higher speeds. overclocking a 920 is comparatively more risky. However, I run all my projects at base 2.66 GHz and have no complaints with the 920. I'm sure you'll love your system once its up and configured correctly!
Core i7 3930k - ASUS PX79 Pro - 64GB RAM - W7 Pro on 240GB Neutron SSD - RME HDSPe AIO - OCZ RevoDrive 120GB - Crucial RealSSD 256GB - 8 x HDD - Motif XS8 - Focal Solo 6 Be - Cubase 7.0.4 - Sibelius 7 - VE PRO - QL Spaces - Altiverb 6 - Complete EWQL Hollywood Series Diamond - SC - SD2 - EWQL Pianos - MOR - Requiem Choir - VSL SE+ - Symphobia 1 and 2 - True Strike - Pro Tools 10 and 11
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmusic9 View Post
Jeez that should be epic, but a little low on RAM. 12GB or 16GB in 4GB size modules would be a better choice, and that leaves you some room to expand to 24GB should you deem it to be necessary. SSD system drive is a luxury, but you'll have to watch your disk use very carefully....

Is this from a PC dealer? Make sure you are getting a good deal.....Its probably a lot cheaper to build it yourself, and you'd probably be better off with having multiple 7200 drives for samples. Also, I might suggest a 930, 950, or even 980 if you can afford it. It'll give you some overflow protection on a super big project. An i7 920 running at 3.7 is overclocked, which might perform just as well, but the higher ranked 9xx processors are designed to run at the higher speeds. overclocking a 920 is comparatively more risky. However, I run all my projects at base 2.66 GHz and have no complaints with the 920. I'm sure you'll love your system once its up and configured correctly!
No it's not from a PC dealer, I've built the PC myself. I just upgraded my RAM and I now have 16GB, so that's no problem. Good point on having more drives for samples, will keep in mind in case the HDD can't handle the samples. Also, I know the 920 is overclocked and that there are risks in overclocking. But I'm an experienced overclocker and I know the limits of i7 9xx series processors, so there's little risk when I'm overclocking. I already have had this computer for years, and was just wondering if I had to upgrade it, but seems like I don't (except for RAM which has already been sorted), that's great!
Closed Thread