Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road
Default I need a MIDI controller for Cubase

Hi guys,

once upon I time, I used to have a different MIDI keyboard. Not the buttonless thing I have at the moment, but one with actual knobs! Can you believe that?
Now I'm looking for a MIDI controller with a few faders and play/pause/stop buttons as well as solo, mute and record. Most important thing: Not too expensive (like the official Steinberg thingies) but compatible with Cubase. I'm obviously too stupid to configure something like the keyboard I mentioned above in Cubase - couldn't get it to work.

So: Cubase users with MIDI controllers, please post your suggestions. I don't want to spend money on something that eventually doesn't even work with my Cubase 5 software.

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Dom
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

jtay is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, I use an M-Audio Oxygen 61 keyboard with Cubase.

Pros: it's one of the more inexpensive keyboards that have plenty of knobs and sliders, cheaper if you go with the 41 or 25-key model. It also has Play, Stop, Record, REW, FF, and Repeat buttons that work with Cubase.

Cons: It's a bit awkward to program. I have to pull up the manual most every time I reassign one of the cotrollers.

I mainly use its knobs to control parameters within my virtual instruments via MIDI Learn and to control Expression and Modulation within Cubase. I haven't done much with controlling track levels or anything like that, though I know that you can do that.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

I'm sorry, I must have chosen a misguiding way of expressing myself.
I'm perfectly content with my keyboard. What I'm looking for is an additional controller with only faders and sorts, without a piano keyboard.
I was going for the Korg nanoKontrol, but I'm not sure whether it integrates well with Cubase.

Anyway: Thanks for your answer, but that's not what I'm looking for. M-Audio rules, though - got the KeyStation 88es and wouldn't trade it for anything
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

jtay is on a distinguished road

Ah, I see. I don't have much experience in that realm. Depending on what you're using it for, I would say get something with an X-Y pad. Those things are fun! There's one on my Korg PadKontrol, and I just enjoy messing around with its possibilities.

The NanoKontrol does look pretty sweet for the price, considering it has most everything you need on it.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

Hey Dominik - I've got a nanokontrol and it works great. Haven't tried to intergrate the transport functions with Cubase but the faders/knobs/buttons are fine. You have a separate piece of software where you assign the parameters to each fader etc. Its easy to use and the faders are sensative enough to be able to make small differences in CC# values.

jtay - I've just got a nanopad2 - the x-y pad looks fantastic. When I get a chance I'll start doing the same with it hmmmm Hollywood strings CC#11 and CC#1 on the x-y pad....... might be a distinct possiblity.

Last edited by trumpoz; 04-14-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpoz View Post
Hey Dominik - I've got a nanokontrol and it works great. Haven't tried to intergrate the transport functions with Cubase but the faders/knobs/buttons are fine. You have a separate piece of software where you assign the parameters to each fader etc. Its easy to use and the faders are sensative enough to be able to make small differences in CC# values.
Thanks, trumpoz, that sounds great!
Just to be sure I got it right: You assign (for example) CC11 to fader 1 with the external software (not with Cubase). From then on, the first fader will control CC11 for the tracks I have selected - just like the modwheel on a keyboard?
If that's what you're saying: Sold.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just to be sure I got it right: You assign (for example) CC11 to fader 1 with the external software (not with Cubase). From then on, the first fader will control CC11 for the tracks I have selected - just like the modwheel on a keyboard?
Yep...... My first 3 faders are CC#1 CC#7 and CC#11.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpoz View Post
Yep...... My first 3 faders are CC#1 CC#7 and CC#11.
Great, thank you
Closed Thread