Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 07-11-2017, 09:43 AM

seatrump is on a distinguished road
Default Just need help choosing a processor

I appreciate any final advice

I have a system built ready to hit the order button. Just wondering if I need to spend lots of extra dollars to have a top processor. I will be using Cubase with large orchestra templates from Hollywood Diamond.

I am going 64GB Ram, 2x 1TB SSD, separate sound card, Graphics card for dual high end monitors. One system I have built is 4400 with a Core i-9 7900x

The same system but with a less powerfull processor such as 6850k is about 2800.

I am flexible on budget and would like a degree of future proofing but realize that desktops rarely last much beyond 5 years and don't want to spend money I don't need to spend. What is the sweet spot for processors for my needs?

Thanks in advance
Ray
Old 07-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

What are the specs for the system that costs $4400? That sounds very steep.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:19 PM

seatrump is on a distinguished road

It includes 2 28 inch monitors, a Intel 10 core i-9 7900, 64 GB Ram, 2x 1TB SSDs, GTX 1080 graphics. Full details below

Case 1 x iBUYPOWER Slate Gaming Case (2x Side Glass Panel)
LED Fan Lighting 1 x Default Case Fan
Case Lighting 1 x iBUYPOWER RGB Smart Lighting (Software Controlled LED Lighting Kit) - [FREE] 1 Smart Lighting Strip - Top of the case
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i9-7900X Processor (10x 3.40GHz/15MB L3 Cache)
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive 1 x PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 1 x 64 GB [16 GB x4] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Major Brand Memory
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 8GB (GDDR5X) (VR-Ready) - Single Card
Motherboard 1 x ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2 -- 4x PCIe x16, 3x USB 3.1 8x USB 2.0, 2x M.2, RGB [Intel Optane Ready]
Power Supply 1 x 800 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze (White Cables)
Advance Cabling Options 1 x Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive [R]
Sound Card 1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy FX [PCIE] -- 5.1 Channels, 192KHz/24-bit
Network Card 1 x Asus PCE-N15 Dual Band Network Card - Up to 300 Mbps, 2.4GHz Band
USB Expansion Card 1 x PCI-Expresss USB 3.0 4-Port Card
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)
Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
Monitor 1 x 27" [1920x1080] ASUS VE278Q LED Monitor -- 2ms response time + 60Hz refresh rate - Dual Monitors
Speaker System 1 x Creative Inspire T3250 Wireless 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker
Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service 1 x Standard Service - Estimated Ship in 5-10 Business Days
Old 07-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Just my 2 cents, but here are my initial thoughts on that build....

* Personally, I would go with an i7 7700. It has plenty of juice, and will save you a few bucks.

* Skip the fancy lighting

* No need for a high end video card unless you plan on doing major graphic work. I used to run dual displays right from my motherboard's video connections (scoring to picture). I would see if there are less expensive video card options that support multiple displays.

* That primary drive is huge. You could save a few dollars by making that a 512GB, or even 256. If you are running Hollywood Diamond, you'll probably need an additional SSD...that would be your primary plus two sample drives. You could even install a 7200rpm for less demanding libraries.

* I would definitely skip the soundcard, that Creative Labs Sound Blaster is not intended for DAW use. Go with an inexpensive USB interface such as a Steinberg UR22 or Scarlett 2i2.

* I would also skip that network card, the ethernet on the MOBO will be fine.

* There should be enough USB ports on the MOBO, no need for the USB expansion card. You could always get a powered hub if you need more ports.

* Skip the speaker system and get yourself some near field reference monitors. There are quite a few economical choices out there.

* Are you sure they're 28" monitors? I'm seeing 27". You can always shop around, monitors are relatively inexpensive. I recently found a 27" LED monitor at best Buy for $179.

Anyways, these are just my opinions. There are a lot of forum members who know a ton about processors, etc, hopefully they will chime in. Good luck with whatever you go with! I'm sure you'll create some great music.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

JHMusic is on a distinguished road

The CPU is around 1200 and is the bulk of your costs. Memory will run you another 600 or less and the motherboard probably <400. 1TB 850 evos are around $300, and everything else is peanuts. If you don't want to spend unnecessary money, don't go with a prebuilt system, especially with high end components. They always mark them up with a hefty premium.