Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 05-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

composeralex is on a distinguished road
Default SONAR Professional vs. Cubase 9 Pro?

Anybody here have a recommendation for or against either of these?

I've been using SONAR X1 for many years now (I quit upgrading after that because I felt like it was getting worse and worse with each upgrade, at least for "classically-trained" composers such as myself), but it may be time to upgrade.

I'll be using the DAW primarily for scoring (video) with EWQL PLAY as VST plugins.

My current setup, if relevant, is a 3.2GHz hex-core processor, 16GB of RAM, four Western Digital black HDDs for streaming, and a MOTU 2408 mk3.

My main concerns, currently, are system stability with over a dozen instances of PLAY (something I feel SONAR X1 may lack), ease of workflow, and, of course, overall reliability.

I'd appreciate any recommendations!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:46 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

I would try trials of both to see what works best for you. I was on Sonar for years (Cakewalk Pro 2.0 to X3), and ditched it for Cubase 7 in 2012...X3 was terrible for scoring to picture. I'm now on Cubase 9 and it still rocks. My biggest complaint about Sonar is that it's subscription based, and I honestly don't know anything else about it. You simply can't go wrong with Cubase, and it's awesome for scoring to picture. Plus, there are a lot of online learning resources so there's always help out there. If you give the trails a whirl, at least you could determine if X1 was the source of your issues.

On a newer system, a dozen instances of Play is nothing, so there must be something else going on with your system. My slave PC is an older i7 2700k with 32GB Ram, but it still hums along with over 100 instruments loaded including Play, Kontakt and Omnisphere (hosted in VEPro). You might also want to consider upgrading your Ram.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the input, Jeremy!

I tried installing the new SONAR trial, but I couldn't get it to install. A quick Google search revealed that this is a common issue with Windows 7 users, and running Windows Update should make it work.

SO, of course, my Windows Update won't download any updates. Another common issue.

Nothing kills the creative inspiration and sours the remains into burning rage like having to stop and deal with endless technical minutia ...
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Or....you could get a Mac and come over to the dark side I don't miss all the Windows crap.

I did and never looked back. Logic X, IMHO, is the bomb for scoring to picture. Still love Cubase, but Logic is awesome. Again, it all comes down to personal taste.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

I'm totally willing to cross over to the dark side, at this point, but I don't have the budget for it right now.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

MPDmike is on a distinguished road

I think Steinberg still offer a cross-grade price for Cubase, if you are eligible?