Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 03-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

DJB is on a distinguished road
Default Hollywood Strings workflow

Hi all,

Just seeing what workflow you use when working with Hollywood Strings (specifically the legato instruments). Here's the workflow I use in Cubase which takes a long time - hoping someone else has a more more efficient method!

1) I set the legato tracks in Cubase to play roughly 150ms earlier (depending on tempo) to accommodate the inherent lag with these instruments.
2) I write the notes in the score editor using the mouse, manually setting the velocity (to control accent) and always use the pedal function to make the notes automatically overlap.
3) I manually draw the expression and modulation in the key editor.
4) I make tempo changes to bring more realism to the track.

As you can imagine this can be very tedious - the results are good but just seeing if anyone uses a better approach?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 AM

dialer is on a distinguished road

I skip (1) entirely and use the key editor to enter each note individually (without quantization) with the mouse (except keyboard instruments, which I usually record). The samples are so inconsistent (aka "realistic") that each note needs individual fine-tuning anyway.

Recording expression and modulation with a mod wheel helps sometimes. Sometimes it's so fiddly I just ditch it and use the mouse anyway.

I never mess around with the tempo unless the entire thing is based on a piano recording (in which case I warp the grid beforehand). The humanization is already achieved by my clicking being inaccurate.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Your best bet? Recording each part by playing them with a controller and using the MOD wheel to breath life into them (realism).
Old 03-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

I find that when I play the legato instruments live they have lag to the notes so are always out of time... Just a thought I had now - I could possibly switch off the legato in Play, record the notes live, switch the legato back on, then offset the track to compensate for the legato...
Old 03-27-2018, 02:59 AM

bigfatwombat is on a distinguished road

You could try recording with latency compensation manually set to an appropriate value and then set the midi track to play back early. Or record per normal and time offset the note value so the bars line up, or...I'm sure that probably got your creative juices flowing.

I do all of these, never quite sure which one works the best for me and sometimes forget to do it when I'm in the flow. Easy enough to fix afterwards in the DAW.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, I'll give that a go!