Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2008, 08:51 PM
dexterwheeler dexterwheeler is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 142
dexterwheeler is on a distinguished road
Default 2 monitors or 1 big LCD

Just a quick question what would be better 2 monitors or 1 32-36" LCD tv for mixing and recording EWQL?
  #2  
Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
TheAlps's Avatar
TheAlps TheAlps is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 181
TheAlps is on a distinguished road
Default

I may be wrong but I dont think you get any realistic resolution to run computer aps on a TV, even the big plasmas really are not conducive to working with computer apps. But go to the store you intend to purchase from and try them out, see how you like it. I am a spoiled brat with a 30" apple cinema display and 2 19" viewsonic monitors at my desk. If I had to choose the 2 19" monitors over a TV i sure would. Tho if I had to choose the 2 19" or the 30" apple cinema I would probably go with the apple cinema, its just so amazing
__________________
Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
Cinematic Composer
www.alpiar.com
  #3  
Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 PM
dexterwheeler dexterwheeler is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 142
dexterwheeler is on a distinguished road
Default

thanks for the info. But is their a need to have 2 screens over 1?
  #4  
Old 04-26-2008, 01:45 AM
benwalken benwalken is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 64
benwalken is on a distinguished road
Default

2 monitors is the minimum you should consider for a professional setup, you definitely need lots of viewing space for comfortable and easy sequencing/notating.

If you are using sampler's (ex: GigaStudio) or a lot of plug-ins, then I would highly recommend 3-4 monitors + a Video Display.
(1x OR 2x for sequencer, 1x Sampler & Plug-ins. 1X Mixer & control panel)

personally I prefer 22'' or 24'' displays (wide-screen of course) over 30''+, it has a better and sharper resolution, but I have to admit the apple 30'' cinema, looks tempting.


Ben
  #5  
Old 04-26-2008, 03:43 AM
chest chest is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,794
chest is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwalken View Post
2 monitors is the minimum you should consider for a professional setup, you definitely need lots of viewing space for comfortable and easy sequencing/notating.

If you are using sampler's (ex: GigaStudio) or a lot of plug-ins, then I would highly recommend 3-4 monitors + a Video Display.
(1x OR 2x for sequencer, 1x Sampler & Plug-ins. 1X Mixer & control panel)

personally I prefer 22'' or 24'' displays (wide-screen of course) over 30''+, it has a better and sharper resolution, but I have to admit the apple 30'' cinema, looks tempting.


Ben
Ben, do you mean separate monitors are better than one giant monitor because you'll never (for instance) cover up the sampler display with the sequencer? Also, I suppose that, with two or more monitors, they can be angled towards you better than one giant screen?
  #6  
Old 04-26-2008, 06:52 AM
benwalken benwalken is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 64
benwalken is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post
Ben, do you mean separate monitors are better than one giant monitor because you'll never (for instance) cover up the sampler display with the sequencer? Also, I suppose that, with two or more monitors, they can be angled towards you better than one giant screen?
The amount of monitors and positioning, are completely dependent on your studio setup. For me, %80 of my samples are giga formats, that's why I need to have a monitor dedicated for GigaStudio, it gives a better overall view of loaded articulation, MIDI channels, etc...

You can have the monitors side by side with a curve or angle, middle as a sequencer, the sides as a sampler and a mixer.

I used to work on a single monitor for sequencing, but since I added the second, you wont believe the difference it made. Personally, I can't see myself on a single monitor anymore, even if it's 50"LCD.. What makes multiple monitors interesting, is not the display size, rather its partitioning and separating each application or plug-in(s) by having its own space...
  #7  
Old 04-26-2008, 06:59 AM
dexterwheeler dexterwheeler is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 142
dexterwheeler is on a distinguished road
Default

but couldnt you just minimaze 2 different windows and put them side by side on a big 32" and get the same effect as two small monitors?
  #8  
Old 04-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Andrew Sigler's Avatar
Andrew Sigler Andrew Sigler is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,814
Andrew Sigler is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlps View Post
I am a spoiled brat with a 30" apple cinema display ...
Oh man, those are so sharp...
__________________
www.andrewsigler.com
  #9  
Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Dannthr's Avatar
Dannthr Dannthr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,852
Dannthr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dannthr Send a message via MSN to Dannthr
Default

How about two large LCD monitors?

Every time I score a film, I wish I had two monitors, otherwise, I only need one.
__________________
- Dan
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.