Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Platinum▓ Member

gstitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes please start an EW with hardware section. It's not that other sites don't cover hardware, it's that I want to know about people who have the best results with EW stuff and hardware. I want to know what the Composers are using. Not every Dj wannabe and audiophile guy. This site is about pro music production and haw to do it. That's why I want to talk about everything from idea to process to hardware to masterpiece, here with EW owner and professionals. Blogs as resources are great don't let is just be about complaining and tech requests. This forum is big part of the product serving as the enabling information to make the whole thing work.
+1 for me. I spend a lot of time on other forums, and in my opinion, they are almost useless for a lot of midi orchestration related hw questions. For example, after asking about a machine with > 8 GB of memory, I have had people respond saying I'm dumb because you never need more than 2 GB and then go into a long rant about how memory doesn't make computers faster. Clearly, the world of midi orchestration has different views.

I like discussing hw on this forum because everyone has the same interests, and it is easy to get the best advice.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

V o n h ÷ g e n is on a distinguished road

I am a bit confused by the discussion here. Over the past years, there have been countless threads with members asking for all kinds of hardware advice, and I don't recall seeing any official warning for breaking forum rules because of this. I wonder what the problem is with this thread. It's obvious that the topic is related to EW products. After all, it's in the interest of every customer to be able to hear EW samples in the best possible sound quality.

Therefore, I recommend the magnificent Sennheiser HD650. Like Jonathan Kranz already said, you will need a very good headphone amp if you really want to benefit from the unsurpassed quality of the Sennheiser HD650. If money is not an issue, you could try out the hand-built Graham Slee Solo Headphone Amp. Make sure the DACs of your soundcard have a decent SNR (mine has 116 dB).

- Jerome Vonh÷gen
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

chest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kranz View Post
... 650's. You do need a good headphone amp in general for Sennheisers, otherwise you'll find yourself cranking your interface much higher than what you're used to...
A lot of people seem to like the Sennheiser HD650 headphones very much.

This thing about their needing a headphone amp: is it just because they're ~600 ohms, or are they inherrently quiet, over-and-above what the impedence suggests?

Is the amp's purpose just to boost the volume, or is it about sound quality?

I've found out that the 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones (although rather quiet on my hi-fi system) work OK with the important headphone outputs on my studio equipment, all with plenty of volume to spare. Does this give any indication of whether the HD650s (with a bit over double the impedence of the DT770s) would be loud enough without a headphone amp?

Can anyone say how well the HD650s perform when plugged into the headphone output of the "Audiodock" (break-out box) unit that's part of the Emu 1820m (for PC sound)?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Platinum▓ Member

Jonathan Kranz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post
A lot of people seem to like the Sennheiser HD650 headphones very much.

This thing about their needing a headphone amp: is it just because they're ~600 ohms, or are they inherrently quiet, over-and-above what the impedence suggests?

Is the amp's purpose just to boost the volume, or is it about sound quality?

I've found out that the 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones (although rather quiet on my hi-fi system) work OK with the important headphone outputs on my studio equipment, all with plenty of volume to spare. Does this give any indication of whether the HD650s (with a bit over double the impedence of the DT770s) would be loud enough without a headphone amp?

Can anyone say how well the HD650s perform when plugged into the headphone output of the "Audiodock" (break-out box) unit that's part of the Emu 1820m (for PC sound)?
All I know is that the volume knob on my MOTU 2408 was always about a quarter to a third higher when using the Sennheisers, as opposed to some Sony 7506's that I was using previously. Always got a nice surprise when switching on the monitors!

-Jonathan
Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Platinum▓ Member

nickysnd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kranz View Post
All I know is that the volume knob on my MOTU 2408 was always about a quarter to a third higher when using the Sennheisers, as opposed to some Sony 7506's that I was using previously. Always got a nice surprise when switching on the monitors!

-Jonathan
Ah, but that's normal, it's caused by impedance difference between headphones and speakers. That's why many soundcards have separate outputs (and volume knobs) for headphones. (I even have two separate outputs/knobs for two headphones, in addition to speakers outputs)
Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Platinum▓ Member

LEX is on a distinguished road

Here is the rule:

Output ohm must be lower than input ohm.
Or, the output of the device must be lower than the headphones.

Here is the problem with the Sony's and the 2408's.

The sony headphone ohms are 24 ohms.
I am pretty sure the MOTU is about 50 or 60 ohms.

So you are loading the headphones down, and will eventually destroy them.

This is why many pro headphone are much higher in ohms.

milliwatts have something to do with it as well.
For example, the Presonus Central Station is rated at 60 ohms/150mW per channel where the Mbox is rated at 50 ohms/6mW per channel.

The HD650's are 300 ohms, not 600.

I also have the 770's, but the Pro 80's (80 ohms) and the output is fine on everything.

Just look up the ohm and mW rating of your EMU.

Emu must be lower ohms than your headphones.

LEX
UAD Apollo 8 Quad
Pro tools HD 12.8.1
UAD2 Quad satellite/OCTO Core PCIe
AVID Artist Control V2
Cranesong Avocet w Quantum DAC
Wire World Pro Audio WC, speaker and power cables.
JBL 6328P monitors, Original NS-10 monitors
Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

chest is on a distinguished road

Aha! Thanks, LEX - and, in particular, for correcting my mistake about the HD650's impedence.

The EMU manual says the output impedence is only 22 ohms, so that's miles less than the headphones' impedence (as reqd by the rule LEX gave). In fact, the manual says "Low impedence headphones (< 300 ohms) may cause additional distortion." (Under 300 ohms is low, now?)

Given the amount of spare volume there was when using the 250-ohm DT770s on the studio equipment, I suppose that means there's little danger that the HD 650s (at 300 ohms) would be too quiet - unless the HD650s are just inherrently quieter for the same power usage?

Is anyone aware of having to turn up the volume to make the HD650s the same loudness as the DT770s?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Platinum▓ Member

LEX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post
Aha! Thanks, LEX - and, in particular, for correcting my mistake about the HD650's impedence.

The EMU manual says the output impedence is only 22 ohms, so that's miles less than the headphones' impedence (as reqd by the rule LEX gave). In fact, the manual says "Low impedence headphones (< 300 ohms) may cause additional distortion." (Under 300 ohms is low, now?)

Given the amount of spare volume there was when using the 250-ohm DT770s on the studio equipment, I suppose that means there's little danger that the HD 650s (at 300 ohms) would be too quiet - unless the HD650s are just inherrently quieter for the same power usage?

Is anyone aware of having to turn up the volume to make the HD650s the same loudness as the DT770s?
You should be fine with the HD650's or the BD's.

Low impedence headphones would be the Sony 7506's. (24ohm) They would likely load down and distort.
250 and 300 isn't really that much, and it is likely you wont hear the difference.

LEX
UAD Apollo 8 Quad
Pro tools HD 12.8.1
UAD2 Quad satellite/OCTO Core PCIe
AVID Artist Control V2
Cranesong Avocet w Quantum DAC
Wire World Pro Audio WC, speaker and power cables.
JBL 6328P monitors, Original NS-10 monitors
Closed Thread