Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road

Hmm! It's removal seems slightly more involved than I had expected. Before I embark on the process I just want to be absolutely sure that it is indeed effectively useless on my system.
I can't really find much information online as to what the benefit is for non-raided storage.
If it is actually doing something useful then I'll probably keep it as nothing directly suggests that it is the cause of the dropouts.
But if it's doing nothing then I'll get rid of it.
Hollywood Orchestra Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum
https://soundcloud.com/jamie-treacher
Old 09-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Patanjali is on a distinguished road

Note that non-Raided is the default storage setup. That is, individual drives. So, it IS beneficial!

That Intel driver can be replaced by Windows' Standard AHCI Driver, which is what those instructions are doing.

I just did it on my X79 system up to step 10, making sure I selected the option to remove the Intel components when prompted at step 7 (Uninstall). It was replaced in Device Manager by Standard AHCI Driver, joining the two others there.

Instead of the other steps, I checked that there were no iaStor*.* files in c:\Windows\System32, and did a CCleaner of the registry to ensure there were no residue entries.

The person who wrote those is a moderator on that MS forum, and he cites an over-representation of RST in system problems that he has addressed.

BTW, did you enable Samsung's RAPID facility on those drives? Just note that it can change the maximum access latency from 1ms to over 30ms. Not saying it is necessarily the problem, but it is a facility that has the potential to cause problems for real-time streaming.

It was designed for maximising normal performance, where the desire is maximum MBs per second, whereas real-time streaming is dependant upon guaranteed minimum kBs per millisecond. Wildly divergent aims.

At this stage, since your issue seems to be for ANY streaming, system components, rather than programs need to be looked at. Eliminating ones that have a known propensity for issues, or that allow system performance that may disrupt real-time streaming, would seem to be a wise strategy.

Now their elimination may not solve this particular problem, but your system should be more stable as a result.
HW: Nmn U87Ai : JA-251x2 : Korg padKontrol+nanoKEY2 : No audio for now : M-Patch2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win8.1P64 : Cubase 8.0.20 : Goliath : SO PP : Pianos : Gypsy : SV : Sup/Drum 2.0 : AT7 : Ozone 6Ad : RX3Ad.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Patanjali
I'm away from my pc for the moment, but I reckon I'll look into this later.

On a more slightly general note, can you think of any reason why I have no problems showing up in DPC Latency Checker? Most of the measures we've worked through have been the usual steps for those who have very distinct problems visible in Latency Checker. I do not. And I can't find many examples of this when searching on google.
So this must be a different type of problem. This is possibly the point you were making about the problem being components rather than programs. It would just be good if there was some kind of trace/diagnostic program that I could run that would at least notice that something is awry! Something is obviously happening to cause these dropouts - but there is no record of it!
Hollywood Orchestra Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum
https://soundcloud.com/jamie-treacher

Last edited by jamieboo; 09-21-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Patanjali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboo View Post
..., can you think of any reason why I have no problems showing up in DPC Latency Checker?
DPC refers to deferred procedure calls, which are low-priority tasks initiated by high-priority event handling routines, queued for delayed processing. As I remember, prior to Win10, the Processes panel of Task Manager used to show DPC near the top of the list.

Now, I am not an expert on this by any means, but some, albeit stab-in-the-dark, 'reasons' for the lack of excessive delays to them might be that something is running that hijacks the CPU with:
a) high-priority tasks that prevent the audio event handling getting a look in (more likely), or
b) excessive activity that spikes the power dissipation such that the CPU slows down momentarily, forcing slow processing all round just enough to stretch some handling to take too long (less likely, as it would need to be relatively lengthy).

Quote:
This is possibly the point you were making about the problem being components rather than programs.
Actually, it could be anything, but since the OS is not generally known for producing such problems, it is likely due to some third-party utility or process.

You could check for a non-MS schedule under Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Task Scheduler.

Quote:
Something is obviously happening to cause these dropouts - but there is no record of it!
There will be a record, but finding it may need some perseverance.

Quote:
It would just be good if there was some kind of trace/diagnostic program that I could run that would at least notice that something is awry!
At the bottom of the Performance panel of Task Manager, there is an Open Resource Monitor link to open the Resource Monitor, which gives more details, and where you can isolate the plots to show just selected processes, so you might be able to see if there are spikes for suspect processes. The visual resolution is low, and I don't know if it has provision for capturing short spikes for display. If it uses rolling-averages, very short spikes may not register, but then they are the ones more likely to show DPC latencies.

There is an MS utility called Windows Performance Analyzer (Xperf), that gives so much detailed performance data vs time that it addled my brain. It was part of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK), but it used to be able to be downloaded separately (4MB vs 2.5GB!).

Patience is required to work with it, just because of the amount of data to traverse, as the dumps are tables of very fine time-based data.

I just tried tracking it down, but links were dead. The Win 8.x/10 version may still work for Win7, as it is a general purpose tool.

After you see how much is going on under the hood, you wonder how the computer actually gets time to do your tasks. Anyway, try the Resource Monitor first.
HW: Nmn U87Ai : JA-251x2 : Korg padKontrol+nanoKEY2 : No audio for now : M-Patch2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win8.1P64 : Cubase 8.0.20 : Goliath : SO PP : Pianos : Gypsy : SV : Sup/Drum 2.0 : AT7 : Ozone 6Ad : RX3Ad.
Closed Thread