Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Introduce Yourself
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Quite a few styles have done that to me. I also think that studying different styles - even the ones you donŽt like - is important.
It gives you access to more ideas that you might need one day. Staying fixated on your own style is not something IŽd recommend.

YouŽre not to old at 29. There was a guy around here that started using EW at 88.
Just give it a try.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On Harddrives, On DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 06-05-2015, 08:29 PM

DrTarantism is on a distinguished road

You misunderstand me I think. I don't stick to one style. Quite the contrary. I blend many styles constantly. I simply never become faithful to any one particular style, so if someone said "Make a song in this style" to me, I would borrow a few ideas from that style but then trust my intuition to find elements from my past present and future experiences to make a new hybrid style. Then if they asked me to create that same hybrid style again, I would say no and create a new hybrid style.

Its not that I'm too old. It's that I'm too deep into a dream to take a different path. I'm on the verge of achieving some lifelong musical goals. I find that my approach puts me in a great position to soon lead a team of producers and composers and there is too little incentive to give up on that goal. The advantage of my approach is that when someone hires me, they're not hiring me for my competence in a style, but in the unique approach and taste that I have. Its an extremely difficult path to tread but once achieved the position is far easier to hold than other paths because it is very difficult to replace a person who has skills that cannot be easily taught.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

sururick is on a distinguished road

Welcome Thoko!
Old 06-06-2015, 02:03 AM

Hey again Richard. So what can you tell us about this album of yours?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:32 AM
Silver Member

Hey Thoko, hello again bud! I'm working on an album that reflects upon my own life. I got some health problems, so a lot of it is focused around that.

Regards,

Richard
Old 06-07-2015, 03:05 AM

Chronic illness is set to become the next epidemic so your subject matter will certainly be relevant to many people. I've read up quite a bit on it, and especially liked the book "Disease Delusion." The breadth and complexity of info in it can be daunting, but it changed my perspective on things and informed me of just how ill equipped (no pun intended) the medical industry currently is to respond to chronic illness. Plus it offers great advice too. I highly recommend it.
Is there anything you can say about the sound? Do you sing? Is it inspired by anything I might have heard of? Does it incorporate any genres? Is any of your music online?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

Hey Thoko,

Thank you for the recommendation on the book. Chronic illness sucks... I do have some of my music online. I do not sing because my singing is unpleasant. :P My music genre is sorrowful and depressing. It focuses on melancholy because that is mostly what I feel based on my sickness and everything that has happened in my life.

Regards,

Richard
Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 AM

Makes sense. Making honest art has the benefit of giving oneself a bit of catharsis, though music without words may possibly do so with a bit less potency. I too have produced songs about my life: good and bad experiences. Originally the whole album was going to have a dark tone, like what you describe, but over time the experience of making the music and all the self examination changed the course of the music. Then I learned that state of mind is a significant contributing factor to health: as the passion and effort for music increases, the body tends to perform better health wise.
Are you willing to share the link to your music?
Old 06-10-2015, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

Hey Thoko,

Here is the main composition to my album. It's called, Black Death. I focus on my sickness and I think of the plague... I just relate to it because of what's happening to me now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL0S8h0Jl_Q

Here is my soundcloud page with some of my other music:
https://soundcloud.com/savetara

Regards,

Richard
Old 06-12-2015, 12:34 AM

It's powerful stuff. You're a good composer, especially for someone who says he is self taught. The message sounds somewhat more severe than what I was prepared for. But I suppose it was because I had not expected there to be a textual message in the video. For your sake, I hope that the references to death are merely stemming from despair, rather than from prognosis.
As such I'm going to try to be careful with my response, and apologise in advance if any of my advice comes off as insensitive. I think that the music is brilliant but if I were you, I would reconsider the method of delivery and consider what kind of relationship and impact you want to have on potential listeners. Of course you must tell your story, but I think you should include a bit of mystery. A great novel or film doesn't let you know exactly what it is about until about halfway through. I think similarly, you should allow your audience to immerse themselves in the experience before letting them know what it is about. That is, I think that you should avoid putting such a plain description on the song itself, or at least write one that leaves the audience feeling curious.
I think that your message needs to be heard, but sadly human beings don't behave as we would like and those of us (myself included) with grim stories to share need to be mindful of the tendencies of others to avoid certain subjects automatically.
Closed Thread