Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Introduce Yourself
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:56 PM

PBCliberal is on a distinguished road

Musical background & training: 9 years classical piano 5 years theory 1 year electronic music
Age you first played an instrument. Which one?: 7 - Piano
Instruments you play: Keyboards - clarinet - attempt violin lamely
Do you consider you were born with the talent for music or you are just amateur? If yes, why?: I don't feel talented innately, but like others here, I can play a melody from hearing it and pretty well catch the chord progressions first time through. I only have relative pitch, so I can't get the key unless I can get a "fix" on some known note or chord. I can make stuff up in real time. So while I often struggle with things, people tell me I'm talented largely because I can do things most people can't do. It's a shame really, because they're missing out on a lot of joy.
Favorite music styles: Film music, Classical (favorite 1880-present impressionist) Jazz/jazz fusion, Celtic/New Age, Standards (especially with lush orchestrations), old skool R&B, and (don't judge me) Western Swing.
Styles you enjoy more composing and inspiration comes easier: I love writing music that supports narration or dialog. Though sometimes dialog can be really tough.
Favorite film composer: John Barry, Ennio Morricone, James Newton Howard
Favorite film music style: Pastoral
Which score got you into film music?: Chinatown
Favorite film score: Prince of Tides
Do you play in a band? (instrument and style): No.
Do you use VSTI just for fun or it is your intention to use it to work?: Its part of my job.
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Complete, Symphonic Choirs w/ expansion, Goliath, Voices of Passion, & Sonar 8.53synth package. All for Audio 4 Video work, TV spot & radio spot production.

Last edited by PBCliberal; 01-03-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

jloving is on a distinguished road

Location: From Ohio, USA - currently in Germany for a year or so.
Music education background: Studied Composition and French Horn at Capital University and Bowling Green State University throughout high school, private lessons outside of the Uni's for both horn and piano throughout highschool as well. Enrolled at Capital University for one semester as a double major in horn performance and composition.
Age and instrument you first played: Trumpet, maybe 9 or 10?
Primary instrument(s): French Horn, trumpet, mellophone
Other instruments played: Piano, guitar, harmonica...spoons
Do you compose?: When time permits, not too often these days
If yes to above, what styles do you prefer to compose?: chamber music, modern classical, semi-avant-garde type of things.
Do you perform?: Through computers...not with acoustic instruments anymore
What motivated you to study music?: vodka. and Mark Camphouse's "A Movement for Rosa". That piece set the mark for "holy sh*t, I want to do that with music too"
Are you a professional in the music industry? If yes what field(s)?: Yes. As a consultant, general and personalized sample library integration with Sibelius, music preparation and transcription, general VI and synth programming.

Favorite music styles:
modern and abstract 'classical', rock,
Favorite modern day artist/band: I've really been digging Steve Broderick for a while
Favorite film composer: undecided
Favorite film score: undecided
Favorite classical composer: Mozart
Favorite instrument: Oboe
Favorite musician: Barry Tuckwell
Favorite candy bar: I can't eat candy bars....

Do you play in a band? (band name, instrument, and style):
I play a computer in a show band...does that count?
Do you use VST as a hobby or professionally?: professionally
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: NI: Gold XP and Symphonic Choirs; PLAY: Gold and Platinum Orchestra, MOR, Fab Four, Goliath, Gypsy, SD2 and expansion, RA, Silk...maybe something else? The sound was the main factor in turning to EastWest products.
Other music/recording software products your own: Sonar 7 and 8, Sibelius 5 and 6, Kontakt 3, Notion 3.

Libraries:
Sonic Implants: Complete Symphonic Collection
ProjectSAM: Orchestral Brass Classic, True Strike 1, Symphobia
Garritan: GPO 3 and 4, Jazz Band, Concert Band, Gofriller Cello, Authorized Steinway
IK Multimedia: Miroslav Philharmonik
Vir2: VI.ONE, Elite Orchestral Percussion, MOJO/Horn Section
Sample Modeling: The Trumpet
Many other assorted small and/or free collections

Computer set up:
Intel q6600 quad-core, 8GB RAM, 6(?) hard drives, Windows Vista x64. MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM, OS X 10.6.2, with Glyph FW800 portable hard drives and an iphone as my Sibelius keypad
Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

Joza is on a distinguished road

Age you first played an instrument. Which one?: 3 - drums
Instruments you play: a little bit of keyboard
Do you consider you were born with the talent for music or you are just amateur? If yes, why?: Not really
Favorite music styles: Melodic (orchestral) metal, rock, pop mostly
Styles you enjoy more composing and inspiration comes easier: I think I dont really have two songs of same style. Hardest thing for me to do in music would be if someone asked me to produce a consistent album. If Im doing a pop ballad today Im propably doing heavy metal the next day..
Favorite film composer: I dont really know, havent yet paid attention to music in films that much unfortunately. But Nobuo Uematsu's work in Final Fantasy games has made a big impression to me.
Favorite film music style: I dont know what styles there are but that epic sounded very cool, propably that.
Which score got you into film music?: Nightwish got me into orchestral music.
Favorite film score: To Zanarkand from Final Fantasy X (again not a film really) or Into the west from Lord of the Rings
Do you play in a band? (instrument and style): No.
Do you use VSTI just for fun or it is your intention to use it to work?: Fun for now, but I like to keep the option for work open.
4x WD Caviar black 500GB 7200RPM 32MB
Windows 7 professional 64bit

M-AUDIO KEYSTATION 49E, Fostex studio monitors + Edirol UA-1EX Audio Interface
AKG K-271 MK II studio headphones

Cubase Studio 5, EWQL Goliath, EWQLSO Gold Complete
EWQL Ministry of Rock, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, EWQL Pianos (play 2.1.2), Guitar Rig 4
Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 AM

Ridley1563 is on a distinguished road

Music education background: Level two theory and musicianship, level three piano, tenor in my school's chamber chorale.
Age and instrument you first played: 7 - Pan Pipes
Primary instrument(s): Guitar, Keyboards/Piano, Vocals
Other instruments played: Pan Pipes, Quena Flute, Bass
Do you compose?: Yes
If yes to above, what styles do you prefer to compose?: Symphonic Metal and epic style film music.
Do you perform?: Not currently, but I will be hopefully in one year's time.
What motivated you to study music?: The leap I took in my guitar technique and the learning of piano.
Are you a professional in the music industry? If yes what field(s)?: I suppose; I worked as a session vocalist for producer Jack Douglas at Westlake Studios in Hollywood.

Favorite music styles: Symphonic Metal, Black Metal, American pop (1998-2001 = tasty pop mixes), ethnic/world (Middle Eastern, Celtic, and Native American).
Favorite modern day artist/band: Nightwish/Within Temptation
Favorite film composer: Hans Zimmer
Favorite film score: The Ring
Favorite classical composer: Mozart
Favorite instrument: Modern - Electric Guitar Classical - Cello
Favorite musician: Tuomas Holopainen
Favorite candy bar: ....Snickers. <_<

Do you play in a band? (band name, instrument, and style): Yes. We're called Lives Forsaken, and I play guitar as well as growl and sing backup. It's female-fronted symphonic metal; imagine Nightwish, only faster, more American sounding, and just a little bit moodier.
Do you use VST as a hobby or professionally?: Both
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: Listed in my sig. I purchased them to replace my Miroslav Philharmonik.
Other music/recording software products your own: Cubase 5, Reason 3, Miroslav Philharmonik, Garritan ReFill, and Anvil Studio (hehe).

Computer set up: listed in my signature.

Please post links to web pages that contain your compostions and/or performances below:

http://www.myspace.com/swansongcomposition Don't have much here, yet.

http://www.myspace.com/livesforsaken VERY OLD DEMOS. Wait for me to post new stuff in the Music Cafe.

Last edited by Ridley1563; 01-06-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

Oldfield is on a distinguished road

Music education background: Grade 8 Piano/Violin (ABRSM) - Grade ?? Drums
Age and instrument you first played: 7 - Piano
Primary instrument(s): Piano, Drums
Other instruments played: Violin, Guitar
Do you compose?: Yes - well, at least I try.
If yes to above, what styles do you prefer to compose?: (Aiming for) Epic type scores/game soundtracks and random punk/rock/ska songs.
Do you perform?: I play drums live in a band. I tend not to perform any other instruments I play.
What motivated you to study music?: My sister did it, I've always loved listening to music, I was asked if I wanted to and said yes.
Are you a professional in the music industry? If yes what field(s)?: Not even remotely.

Favorite music styles: (in no particular order), Classical, Folk, Rock, Punk, Trance, D&B, Epic Orchstral
Favorite modern day artist/band: NOFX
Favorite film composer: John Williams
Favorite film score: The Ring
Favorite classical composer: Beethoven
Favorite instrument: Modern - Electric Guitar Classical - Harpsichord
Favorite musician: I have no idea
Favorite candy bar: Cadbury's Dairy Milk

Do you play in a band? (band name, instrument, and style): Yes. I play drums. We're a silly-core punk rock band.
Do you use VST as a hobby or professionally?: Hobby
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: SO Gold, Pianos Gold, Goliath, RA, Silk, Gypsy, SD2, VOP, SC, MOR.
Other music/recording software products your own: Cubase 4 (may upgrade to 5 soon)

Computer set up: Intel Q6600, 8GB Ram, Sata II 7200rpm drives (various), Windows 7, MOTU Ultralite

Please post links to web pages that contain your compostions and/or performances below:
Don't actually have any up at the moment.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

MichaelJM is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MichaelJM

Music education background: Pursuing a minor in Music; perhaps Grad school for composition.
Age and instrument you first played: ~10, recorder
Primary instrument(s): Piano
Other instruments played: None
Do you compose?: I try.
If yes to above, what styles do you prefer to compose?: Film, trailer, minimalist
Do you perform?: Not yet.
What motivated you to study music?: Hearing tracks by Immediate Music, and the music in my head.
Are you a professional in the music industry?: Not yet.

Favorite music styles: Film, trailer, minimalist, some classical
Favorite modern day artist/band: Ludovico Einaudi
Favorite film composer: James Newton Howard
Favorite film score: National Treasure by Trevor Rabin
Favorite classical composer: Chopin
Favorite instrument: Strings; the whole family.
Favorite musician: No idea
Favorite candy bar: Twix

Do you play in a band?: I wish.
Do you use VST as a hobby or professionally?: Hobby... for now.
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: Listed in my sig. Because I couldn't stand fake sounding samples anymore.
Other music/recording software products you own: Logic 8

Computer set up: MacbookPro 2.4GHz; Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. Hope to get a desktop someday.

http://www.box.net/shared/az6sr2862x
Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Thomas de Waard is on a distinguished road

Age and instrument you first played: 5, Violin
Primary instrument(s): Saxophone, Piano and in the future: Morin Khuur (just ordered it)
Other instruments played: Violin, Tin Whistle, Drums,
Do you compose?: Yep
If yes to above, what styles do you prefer to compose?: Mixture between New Age and Classical Music
Do you perform?: Yep (Saxophone)
What motivated you to study music?: My family
Are you a professional in the music industry? If yes what field(s)?: Nope

Favorite music styles: Film, New Age, Classical
Favorite modern day artist/band: Metronome
Favorite film composer: Vangelis
Favorite film score: Alexander
Favorite classical composer: Tsjaikovksy
Favorite instrument: Morin Khuur and Saxophone (can't really choose between them)
Favorite musician: Yo-Yo Ma
Favorite candy bar: Good quality chocolate

Do you play in a band? (band name, instrument, and style): Nope
Do you use VST as a hobby or professionally?: Hobby (maybe professionally in the future)
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: Symphonic Orchestra (demos sounded superb and much better than any other vst orchestra maybe with the exception of Symphobia, but then again that library isn't really as useful as SO). Quantum Leap RA (I chose it as the free product)
Other music/recording software products your own: Garritan Personal Orchestra

Computer set up: Dual Core Processor, 4 GB RAM, cheap Creative X-Fi soundcard.

Please post links to web pages that contain your compostions and/or performances below: http://www.youtube.com/ThomasdeWaard
Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Doug Somers is on a distinguished road

Music education background: School music program grades 4 - 13
Age and instrument you first played: 9, recorder
Primary instrument(s): guitar, keyboards, bodhran - I play these increasingly less often the more I compose.
Other instruments played: trumpet, baritone, tin whistle. Always wanted to play drums.
If yes to above, what styles do you prefer to compose?: Modern classical instrumental and vocal, ambient, world fusion; prog rock
Do you perform?: occasionally I jam with a local celtic group
What motivated you to study music?: I have always loved music from when I can remember. It is like colour in the audible space, the common communication of humanity.
Are you a professional in the music industry? If yes what field(s)?: No.

Favorite music styles: Cinematic, Electronica, ambient, choral, bossa nova, jazz, rock (all types especially prog rock), folk (all flavours especially Celtic), Latin, Reggae and other world music; bluegrass
Favorite modern day artist/band: Loreena McKennitt and Anuna. Really really tough call.
Favorite film composer: Howard Shore (Jack Wall, Klaus Badelt, Hans Zimmer, John Williams). Another tough call.
Favorite film score: Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring
Favorite classical composer: Aaron Copland
Favorite instrument: celtic harp
Favorite musician: Pat Metheny. Yet another impossibly tough call.
Favorite candy bar: white chocolate Toblerone

Do you play in a band? (band name, instrument, and style): not as a regular member. Play bodhran and guitar very occasionally.
Do you use VST as a hobby or professionally?: hobby to start with
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: Play editions of: Symphonic Choirs + VOTA Expansion, Symphony Orchestra Gold + XP + 3 Mic positions - to produce the big sweeping scores to intimate minimalist pieces; Ra, Silk, Gypsy - to produce world music, and Gypsy guitar and violin are outstanding; Voices of Passion - I can remember the beauty and power of a solo female voice in pieces I heard as a young child, they add depth of feeling; Stormdrum2 - how can you not buy this hammerfest for sheer power and rumble not to mention the various soundscapes; Goloiath - for all the other sounds, esp for rock and ambient
Other music/recording software products your own: Garageband + all the Jampacks, Logic 7.2, Kontakt 3 + packaged samples , Ozone; Soundtrack Pro

Computer set up: McBook Pro w/4 Gb Ram and external 1 Tb hard disk. I plan to upgrade to a MacPro with internal HDs when the new models are introduced later this year as the laptop memory is too small. I use an Akai MPK49 controller and M-Audio FastTrack Pro interface for microphones.

http://www.macjams.com/artist/Doug+Somers
Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM

TLinden is on a distinguished road

Music education background: Music theory, 2-3 years guitar
Age and instrument you first played: 12, Acoustic Guitar
Other instruments played: Guitar
If yes to above, what styles do you prefer to compose?: Modern orchestral music, ethnic for film
Do you perform?: No
What motivated you to study music?: Scores I listened to when I was child (Goldsmith, Williams in particular) and Bear McCreary who did just an amazing job on the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica and really motivated me to study music. He is also the reason why I got into ethnic music.
Are you a professional in the music industry? If yes what field(s)?: Not yet, but I'm working on it

Favorite music styles: Cinematic orchestral, rock, new Age, ethnic (Celtic, middle eastern), percussive music
Favorite modern day artist/band: Matthew Schoening
Favorite film composer: Bear McCreary
Favorite film score: Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 (TV Score)
Favorite classical composer: Claude Debussy
Favorite instrument: Duduk, Cello
Favorite musician: Paul Cartwright
Favorite candy bar: Quality chocolate

Do you play in a band? (band name, instrument, and style): No
Do you use VST as a hobby or professionally?: Hobby but I'm confident of working professionally one day
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: EWQLSO Platinum, RA, SILK, VOP, MOR, Pianos, SD2
Other music/recording software products your own: Logic 9, VSL Appassionata Strings I, VSL SE

Computer set up: Mac Pro 2x 2.8Ghz Quad, 12 GB Ram, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Studiologic Fatar 88-key master keyboard, Evolution UC-33E Controller

Please post links to web pages that contain your compostions and/or performances below: I will edit this as soon as I have time to work on my web page .

Last edited by TLinden; 01-18-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum˛ Member

nikolas is on a distinguished road

Music education background: PhD in composition, MMus in composition, Degree in piano, harmony and counterpoint.
Age and instrument you first played:5, Piano
Other instruments played: Guitar
If yes to above, what styles do you prefer to compose?: Mainly classical (contemporary) and computer game soundtracks. No country (or the equivelant Greek style)
Do you perform?: yes
What motivated you to study music?: talent, ambition, parents, circumstances, luck
Are you a professional in the music industry? If yes what field(s)?: yes. Concert hall and computer games composer.

Favorite music styles: Geez... Any
Favorite modern day artist/band: Radiohead probably
Favorite film composer: Don't do film music, but anyhow John Williams
Favorite film score: ET
Favorite classical composer: In alphabetical order? Give me a break...
Favorite instrument: All
Favorite musician: myself (yes, yes, yes )
Favorite candy bar: any chocolate will do!

Do you play in a band? (band name, instrument, and style): N/A except for a duo, piano and voice.
Do you use VST as a hobby or professionally?: professionally
EW products you own and the main reason why you bought them: EWQL SO Gold xp pro, EWQL SC, Vapor, Adrenaline. Because I needed them and gigs required such sounds. Not on a sale, not because they were cheap. All in kontakt format, incidently!
Other music/recording software products your own: Cubase 5, LASS, Garritan Steinway, Kontakt 3,5, Pianoteq 3.5 pro, Ivory, Bela D. Media DIVA, Toontrack DFH Superior, Orange Tree samples everything, and other smaller tibids.

Computer set up: Intel i7 920, 6 GB RAM, 2 TB hard disks (Caviar Black), 2 22" screens. PMC monitors, Flying mole amps, Grace Design Headphone amp, Grace Design preamp. Earthworks audio QTC40 mics. Sennheisser HD600 and Beyerdynamics headphones.

Please post links to web pages that contain your compostions and/or performances below: www.nikolas-sideris.com