Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

christerholm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliancs View Post
I also have Windows partitions for testing games & the other stuff everyone has on their computers (can only afford one!), so I'd need more than 120GB.
You don't need to have all that other stuff on the SSD, keep your SSD for DAW partition and samples only, and the other windows installations and stuff you can keep on a regular HDD
Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

juliancs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to juliancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by christerholm View Post
You don't need to have all that other stuff on the SSD, keep your SSD for DAW partition and samples only, and the other windows installations and stuff you can keep on a regular HDD
True, but I would be getting one SSD for all my EW/Omnisphere stuff, then a seperate HDD for boot/logic and another for general crap. How would that perform?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

Veneteaou will become famous soon enough

You don't want Logic and your OS on the same non-SSD drive. I would do this:

SSD - Samples
HDD1 - Logic and other junk.
HDD2 - OS and other junk.

Your computer shouldn't be composing and gaming at the same time, so as long as there is room on those two HDDs you want them setup this way to maximize output for audio. If you want games on the SSD as well, then I suggest getting a second one.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Platinum˛ Member

aptmusic9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneteaou View Post
You don't want Logic and your OS on the same non-SSD drive. I would do this:

SSD - Samples
HDD1 - Logic and other junk.
HDD2 - OS and other junk.

Your computer shouldn't be composing and gaming at the same time, so as long as there is room on those two HDDs you want them setup this way to maximize output for audio. If you want games on the SSD as well, then I suggest getting a second one.
Interesting Veneteaou, I haven't tried this. I put Cubase and the project file on an SSD once, but I wasn't noticing a big improvement so I went back to OS HDD.
Core i7 3930k - ASUS PX79 Pro - 64GB RAM - W7 Pro on 240GB Neutron SSD - RME HDSPe AIO - OCZ RevoDrive 120GB - Crucial RealSSD 256GB - 8 x HDD - Motif XS8 - Focal Solo 6 Be - Cubase 7.0.4 - Sibelius 7 - VE PRO - QL Spaces - Altiverb 6 - Complete EWQL Hollywood Series Diamond - SC - SD2 - EWQL Pianos - MOR - Requiem Choir - VSL SE+ - Symphobia 1 and 2 - True Strike - Pro Tools 10 and 11
Old 05-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Platinum˛ Member

aptmusic9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneteaou View Post

Crucial SATA3 SSD 64GB, 415MB/s reads, $115 with promo code through the 17th.
Thats an awesome deal. Definitely a good choice. One of the reasons I went with the Revo drive is that I have exhausted all 7 SATA ports already

These 64GB SSDs offer great performance but the downside is the port(s) they take up. Especially if you dont have the luxury of SATA III, in which case you wont get stats like 415 MB/s
Core i7 3930k - ASUS PX79 Pro - 64GB RAM - W7 Pro on 240GB Neutron SSD - RME HDSPe AIO - OCZ RevoDrive 120GB - Crucial RealSSD 256GB - 8 x HDD - Motif XS8 - Focal Solo 6 Be - Cubase 7.0.4 - Sibelius 7 - VE PRO - QL Spaces - Altiverb 6 - Complete EWQL Hollywood Series Diamond - SC - SD2 - EWQL Pianos - MOR - Requiem Choir - VSL SE+ - Symphobia 1 and 2 - True Strike - Pro Tools 10 and 11
Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

Veneteaou will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Interesting Veneteaou, I haven't tried this. I put Cubase and the project file on an SSD once, but I wasn't noticing a big improvement so I went back to OS HDD.
Yeah, OS and sequencer don't need crazy throughput of SSD, just their own dedicated drive for I/O stuff they do.

[quote]Thats an awesome deal. Definitely a good choice. One of the reasons I went with the Revo drive is that I have exhausted all 7 SATA ports already /quote] I know that feeling.

Quote:
These 64GB SSDs offer great performance but the downside is the port(s) they take up. Especially if you dont have the luxury of SATA III, in which case you wont get stats like 415 MB/s
True, but on SATA II those drives can still hit 250+ MB/s which is far better than a 7200 drive (I don't recommend 10k or 15k drives for this stuff). If you can wait a year or two do it, but it wouldn't be a bad move to get one or two SATA III SSDs now if you need the streaming boost. They will also play well with the next system you decide to build.

I'm holding out on a new system at least until next year. Unless Eastwest decides to hand us 9 mic positions for each instrument, I get the feeling that the hardware will be cheaper and far more powerful than sampling requires in the future.
Closed Thread