Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:34 PM

Aetius33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aetius33
Default *Unique Opportunity* Urgent Help regarding Monitor Speakers for Mixing EWQL music

I was planning on going with some Adam A7 monitors but something came up just in the last couple days...

A store is going out of business here in town. Its a big namebrand clothing store that usually plays loud music in their store at the mall (not sure if I'm allowed to share the name)

Well....they are scaling back and selling everything in the store including their JBL speakers.

I need to stop by and check what model they are but...

Basically I'm wondering if they'd make good monitors for EWQL libraries and music creation? Or are they just meant for casual playback?

Anybody know off the top of their head?

Thanks

-Aetius

Last edited by Aetius33; 09-15-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Chrispire is on a distinguished road

Can't tell you too much about the JBL's. My impression is that they are primarily designed for live use, and not for studio monitoring. I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with the A7's. I wouldn't second guess yourself...go with the Adams.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

PNS is on a distinguished road

What model? Not all monitors are created equal, even with a JBL tag on them
Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

pietro7050@verizon.net is on a distinguished road

They are most likely "loudspeakers" as opposed to monitors. Loudspeakers are designed to "throw" sound out over a greater space than near field studio monitors. Near field studio monitors also focus more on a flat response as they are used for mixing. But you might get a good deal and its always nice to listen to final mixes on as many different speaker set-ups as possible.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Platinum˛ Member

persentio is on a distinguished road

I agree with pietro. However JBL does have its range of professional monitors like the LSR4328P which generally has been very well received. It has a built-in Room Correction DSP to accomodate less-than suitable acoustic spaces; but then again this functionality is scorned at by some.

I'm thinking though you are better off getting the A7s for a cheaper price and a very reputable, popular brand.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Silver Member

White Noise 2 is on a distinguished road

I have JBL monitors and they are wonderful. What you are probably being offerred are loudspeakers that will have some proprietary eq curve dialled in to sweeten everything. And for monitors you want flat, unflattering warts and all.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Silver Member

White Noise 2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by persentio View Post
However JBL does have its range of professional monitors like the LSR4328P which generally has been very well received. It has a built-in Room Correction DSP to accomodate less-than suitable acoustic spaces; but then again this functionality is scorned at by some.
I have these. I like them a lot, but you're right the Room Correction DSP isn't suddenly going to make your mixes suddenly sound amazing and any benefits to seasoned mixers will be limited because they will be using their inner-ears to think about how mixes will translate.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Aetius33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aetius33

well thanks for the info guys...

Sadly...

The speakers were gone when I checked today.

But its good to know the difference between monitors like the A7s and Loudspeakers.

I'll have to keep this in mind for later so if anything like this happens again...I can jump on it ASAP.

-Aetius
Closed Thread