Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Chrispire is on a distinguished road
Default 10,000 RPM Hard Disks and Sample Load Times

I am under the impression that samples will load into RAM quicker if they are being read from a faster hard disk, like a Raptor. Can anyone confirm this through their experience?

I wonder...what is the longest sample load time you've ever experienced when opening a project? Complex projects with large amounts of samples can take a very long time to load. I'm sure we'll look back on this era in years to come and laugh about the fact that you could go for a walk around the block before your project would be open.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Diamond Member

Pietro is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro

One of my Platinum templates with Kontakt loads in about 10 minutes. It's a single 64bit PC template (almost 6GB in RAM).

Faster disk spinning speed means lower seek times, and further - both better streaming and faster sample preload.

- Piotr
Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 AM

digit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispire View Post
I am under the impression that samples will load into RAM quicker if they are being read from a faster hard disk, like a Raptor. Can anyone confirm this through their experience?

I wonder...what is the longest sample load time you've ever experienced when opening a project? Complex projects with large amounts of samples can take a very long time to load. I'm sure we'll look back on this era in years to come and laugh about the fact that you could go for a walk around the block before your project would be open.
I spread my work among 5 workstations so each does its part of loading and streaming. I have never timed the load time but...I have never had to take a walk around the block ;P

All my drives are 7200 and it's been working ok for me. Personally, I can't wait until we are done with current drive technology and switch to flash drives. I think it's about time.

My greatest concern is drive failure - I have had 14 drives fail in little over 8 years. I make backups of everything, including my sample libraries but, still it's down time. So, I'd take a drive technology that reduces (or eliminates) failure over faster loads if I could.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

raywong is on a distinguished road

I had many drives failure before, I think it was due to insufficient cooling in my case. I switched to computer case with fans directly in front of the drives, and haven't had a drive failure for 1 year.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 PM

digit is on a distinguished road

I have a 12mm fan in front, sucking air directly through the drive bay and two smaller fans pushing the air out to the back of the rack case.

About 1/3 of the drives were in external cases, well ventilated and in a cooled room.

13 of the drives were made by the same manufacturer and one was the stock drive that came with my old G4.

Needless to say I no longer buy drives from that manufacturer!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

raywong is on a distinguished road

I wonder what is the life expectancy of a drive working at full load.