Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

juliancs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to juliancs
Default 1 SSD against 3 HDDs?

Hi guys,
Currently I run 3 HDDs (I think two are 5400 and the other 7200) with SO:G, VOP, SD2, Pianos, RA, Silk, Gypsy, Choirs and Omnisphere spread out amongst them. My 4th HDD is used for logic/boot.

I'm upgrading some gear but am on a stretched budget, as usual. At the moment I can only afford 1 SSD, and was thinking of this guy:
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/part...CT256M4SSD2BAA

To replace the 3 HDDs in terms of running the samples off them. I realise it won't all fit but what I use the most (SO:G/Omni/SD2) will. In time I will add more, but the question is performance. On paper the single SSD seems like it would handle the samples better than the other 3 combined, but I'm wondering about real world.

Many thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Silver Member

Anyone?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Platinum˛ Member

aptmusic9 is on a distinguished road

If you are not getting dropouts there is no reason to upgrade. speed of drive has no impact on performance whatsoever, it can only allow you to get more concurrent voices before getting dropouts. I haven't been able to cause dropouts on my system with anything other than HS Powerful patches. Pianos is a little taxing too because it takes a while to get going, but once the drive starts spinin im good as gold. Also, its worth noting that your audio exports will sound the same everytime regardless of SSD. Its just realtime playback that can sometimes bottleneck an HDD.
Core i7 3930k - ASUS PX79 Pro - 64GB RAM - W7 Pro on 240GB Neutron SSD - RME HDSPe AIO - OCZ RevoDrive 120GB - Crucial RealSSD 256GB - 8 x HDD - Motif XS8 - Focal Solo 6 Be - Cubase 7.0.4 - Sibelius 7 - VE PRO - QL Spaces - Altiverb 6 - Complete EWQL Hollywood Series Diamond - SC - SD2 - EWQL Pianos - MOR - Requiem Choir - VSL SE+ - Symphobia 1 and 2 - True Strike - Pro Tools 10 and 11
Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmusic9 View Post
If you are not getting dropouts there is no reason to upgrade. speed of drive has no impact on performance whatsoever, it can only allow you to get more concurrent voices before getting dropouts. I haven't been able to cause dropouts on my system with anything other than HS Powerful patches. Pianos is a little taxing too because it takes a while to get going, but once the drive starts spinin im good as gold. Also, its worth noting that your audio exports will sound the same everytime regardless of SSD. Its just realtime playback that can sometimes bottleneck an HDD.
Thanks for the input, I am getting chokes on larger projects, especially with Omni thrown in.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Platinum˛ Member

aptmusic9 is on a distinguished road

omnisphere? Make sure this is dropouts and not CPU/ASIO related. They are easily confused. Dropouts are brief silences before the drive can find the requested sample. If you are CPU or ASIO overload, you will have audible clicks, and a drive wont help you if thats the problem.
Core i7 3930k - ASUS PX79 Pro - 64GB RAM - W7 Pro on 240GB Neutron SSD - RME HDSPe AIO - OCZ RevoDrive 120GB - Crucial RealSSD 256GB - 8 x HDD - Motif XS8 - Focal Solo 6 Be - Cubase 7.0.4 - Sibelius 7 - VE PRO - QL Spaces - Altiverb 6 - Complete EWQL Hollywood Series Diamond - SC - SD2 - EWQL Pianos - MOR - Requiem Choir - VSL SE+ - Symphobia 1 and 2 - True Strike - Pro Tools 10 and 11
Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

jeffrey is on a distinguished road

Get the SSD. I've had hiccups for years with HD's...then switched to SSD's and its as smooth as silk.

Don't post your entire studio in the signature area. We only need to know your DAW and what you have from EWQL.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

JBlongz is on a distinguished road

Crucial M4 is my FAVORITE SSD (look at my specs below). Go for it! But also get a $99 Seagate Momentus XT as your system drive (if you are using a desktop). Its the most efficient 2.5" HDD our their because of its 4GB SSD added to it. I use the Crucial drives on SATA III ports..big difference in performance over the SATA II.