Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:46 PM

Zorpley is on a distinguished road
Default Composer Cloud Simultaneous Download and Extract

It would be nice if the installation center could download one library while extracting another, especially since the extraction process is extremely lengthy. Currently, the installation center downloads and extracts a library before moving on to the next one.

Excited to try out my new instruments!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorpley View Post
It would be nice if the installation center could download one library while extracting another, especially since the extraction process is extremely lengthy. Currently, the installation center downloads and extracts a library before moving on to the next one.

Excited to try out my new instruments!
All that would do is slow down the current download, you can queue them.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Why would that slow down the download? I'm assuming that the second installation pass is just an extraction process, since network usage for the Installation Center drops to 0 during that time period.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorpley View Post
Why would that slow down the download? I'm assuming that the second installation pass is just an extraction process, since network usage for the Installation Center drops to 0 during that time period.
You are limited by download bandwidth no matter what you are downloading. If you start a second download it slows down the first download.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Right, I never suggested that the Manager should download multiple libraries simultaneously.

Currently, if you install a library, the manager will download all the files for that library, then extract them. This happens in two "passes", first the progress bar goes from 0 to 100 for the download progress, then it goes from 0 to 100 again for the extraction process (I'm assuming it's an extraction process, though I could be wrong). The second "pass" does not use the internet and takes a very long time, even with an i7.

It would speed up installation times significantly if, when one library is done downloading, the next queued library immediately began downloading.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 AM

For reference, here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about. Ghostwriter just finished downloading, and is being extracted. Ministry of Rock is queued, but is not downloading.

https://gyazo.com/5f97e06d5e682fba18372e3b82fe4e02
Closed Thread