Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 04-21-2018, 12:38 PM

ComposerRyan is on a distinguished road
Default Recommended soundcard or audio interface for eastwest samples?

Hey guys, I purchased the eastwest library of samples a while ago (hollywood strings gold, etc) and I am getting back into music again because my mom passed away recently and I need something to keep me going.

What sound card do you recommend for a windows 10 machine? I currently have the focusrite 6i6 but it no longer works and I need a new sound card / audio interface.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

PC and Software: Complete Composers Collection 2, Windows 7 64 BIT, i7 Processor, 16 GB Ram, Samsung SSD, Cakewalk Sonar X1
Old 04-23-2018, 09:08 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

There are a lot of good choices out there, it all depends on your budget. If you want a solid USB interface with decent pre's, I had great success with the Steinberg UR22 (there's a newer version out now). Should be around $150. If you like Focusrite, the Scarlett 2i2 is pretty good too. I've heard good things about Audient, as well.

PS- Sorry to hear about your mother, my condolences. Hopefully you find solace in your music composition.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:54 PM

Hey Jspencer, thank you for the help and kind words about my Mom. This last week has been the most difficult week for my brothers and I so I definitely appreciate the kind words.

So, based on your suggestions, I may try the 2nd generation focusrite since the 1st gen one I have doesn't work. But what do you think about the Yamaha MG10XU? Would that work okay with EastWest samples? https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MG10XU...70_&dpSrc=srch

PC and Software: Complete Composers Collection 2, Windows 7 64 BIT, i7 Processor, 16 GB Ram, Samsung SSD, Cakewalk Sonar X1
Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

The Yamaha is not an interface...it's a mixer. That would be okay if you needed to utilize a few different peripherals in your studio, such as a CD player, your audio interface, outboard synth, etc. You would basically plug them all into an audio channel, and the output to your monitors (but I have a feeling that's not your intent).

Focusrite interfaces are good, as are most of the latest incarnations in the $150 - $200 range these days. If you only need a pair of inputs, the 2nd gen Scarlett 2i2 looks nice.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerRyan View Post
Hey guys, I purchased the eastwest library of samples a while ago (hollywood strings gold, etc) and I am getting back into music again because my mom passed away recently and I need something to keep me going.

What sound card do you recommend for a windows 10 machine? I currently have the focusrite 6i6 but it no longer works and I need a new sound card / audio interface.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan
Sorry to hear about your mom ... my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

About the interface, this is what I am using with Reaper and EW samples, a vintage M Audio Projectmix. 8 motorized touch sensitive faders, and four physical outputs for speakers (plus two headphones), and 8 inputs for either line or microphone. If you shop around on eBay you can find good ones for a few hundred bucks. They no longer make them, so make sure you have one that actually works - repairing it may be expensive.

Having motorized faders is nice, much nicer for mixing than in the box with a mouse. Firewire based.

If you're just in the market for an audio interface, Focusrite is a good brand, and you might pick one up used for less money. Behringer is actually pretty good too, these days, and cheap. Anything with low latency and good drivers will get the job done.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 PM

Thank you for the condolences and help once again and I will take a look at all of these options you guys mentioned.

I just installed the 2nd gen focusrite that I received from Amazon and it appears to be working okay so far but I will do further testing because I have yet to install the eastwest samples, etc.

Thanks again for the help and if you guys have any SSD hard drive suggestions, I'm all ears but I have heard good things about Crucial SSD drives so I may try that to start with.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:24 AM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

I have the Yamaha MG10XU and it works well with East West, i also use it with Cubase. Never had any issues with it.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:29 AM
Gold Member

I have a 512gb Crucial SSD and several Samsung EVO 1tb SSD's. Both brands works well, never had any issues but the Samesung SSD's are a tiny bit faster...
Old 04-26-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Gjermundsen View Post
I have the Yamaha MG10XU and it works well with East West, i also use it with Cubase. Never had any issues with it.
So did the Yamaha MG10XU come with ASIO drivers? I'm guessing that is what I will need to get it to work because I know the Focusrite has ASIO drivers if I'm not mistaken

And I just ordered the crucial hard drive to try it out and see how it works.

Thanks for the help once again, can't wait to get the setup up and running.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerRyan View Post
So did the Yamaha MG10XU come with ASIO drivers? I'm guessing that is what I will need to get it to work because I know the Focusrite has ASIO drivers if I'm not mistaken

And I just ordered the crucial hard drive to try it out and see how it works.

Thanks for the help once again, can't wait to get the setup up and running.
I see i was a bit late with my first reply since you already got the Focusrite, but
yes the MG10XU come with ASIO drivers.
The Crucial drive should work fine. It was the first SSD i got and it still works pretty well after several years.