Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Fealow is on a distinguished road
Default Hollywood orchestra sample balance

Hey guys, i'm new here and have been getting to know my HO library over the past few days. So far im really impressed, sounds great!

There is one thing that is bugging me though and wanted to check if this is normal for the library.

Basically I'm finding that a lot of the samples between different sections of the orchestra (including dynamic layers) seem to be grossly out of balance with each other. Now I don't expect the balance to be perfect out the box, but I honestly expected there to be some kind of basic dynamic relationship already built into the library.

As an example I don't understand how a single woodwind patch freshly loaded can be grossly louder than the entire 1st and 2nd violins playing as loud as they can. This seems entirely unrealistic to me.

I'm also finding the short and pizzicato patches that use velocity for their dynamic layers to be really extreme in volume difference, like there are 3 distinct steps in dynamics with no volume smoothing between the velocity values. I know i could use expression to smooth it over, but I would have to make the loud dynamic layers a lot quieter to bring them more in line with everything else. It also means i cant exactly have short notes that crescendo smoothly due to these jumps in the dynamic layers.

Is this just something i've noticed with my library or have you all had to be this meticulous with the balancing of your templates?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:11 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

There was never any intention to balance the volume of the sections, that would involve a lot of compromises sonically as brass is wildly different in volume and dynamics than quiet woodwind instruments. You need to balance these yourself in your DAW.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:37 PM

josephlevie is on a distinguished road

Is it expected that each instrument needs to be balanced, or, are the instruments in each section expected to be balanced within themselves?

Should I expect that I'd need to balance four levels (Woodwind, Brass, Percussion, Strings), or, will every instrument need to be balanced?
MOTU Digital Performer 9.13
VE Pro 6.0.15864
Play 5.0.1
EWQLHO Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum Plus
EWQLSC
EWQL FabFour
EWQL RA
EWQL Pianos
MOTU 896 mk3
MOTU MTP AV
Old 05-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road

I sometimes find that different articulations within the same instrument even need balancing!
Hollywood Orchestra Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum
https://soundcloud.com/jamie-treacher
Old 05-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Like Admin mentioned, it was never intended to be that way. It would be unrealistic to think that every single user would be composing the under exact same orchestral situations. There are so many variables, including the genre of music. Play includes an awesome mixer that is very easy to adjust.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:37 PM

josephlevie is on a distinguished road

Still, that's a lot of balancing. Especially if it's articulations too. Luckily, I have a Mackie MCU that could help speed things up. Thanks for replying.
MOTU Digital Performer 9.13
VE Pro 6.0.15864
Play 5.0.1
EWQLHO Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum Plus
EWQLSC
EWQL FabFour
EWQL RA
EWQL Pianos
MOTU 896 mk3
MOTU MTP AV
Old 05-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Fealow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
There was never any intention to balance the volume of the sections, that would involve a lot of compromises sonically as brass is wildly different in volume and dynamics than quiet woodwind instruments. You need to balance these yourself in your DAW.
Thanks for the reply. I've got no issue with having to balance things myself i just didn't think i would need to do it to this degree just for a non specific template that encompasses the orchestra as a whole, but i completely understand wanting to keep the library versatile.

That still leaves my issue of the short sample velocities behaving step wise rather than a smooth contour between each dynamic layer. For example the p pizzicato samples are barely audible compared to the pp/mf pizzicato samples. I get thats generally how the dynamic levels work, but the difference here seems more extreme than what it should be. Even with CC11 and CC7 at max and the velocity one value underneath the next dynamic layer on the p samples its still not enough to find a good balance with that particular sample.

Tags
balance, dynamics, hollywood orchestra, velocities