Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-13-2017, 03:29 PM

djl is on a distinguished road
Default Hollywood Orch Percussion driven by Roland TD-20 drums

Did a search in this forum for this topic and didn't see anything, so....

Anyone know if I were to buy the Diamond Hollywood Orchestra Percussion set, if I can plug my Roland TD-20 controller into my PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL USB audio interface via the MIDI in/out connectors and control the timpani sounds in HOP with 4 individual TD-20 drums plugged into the controller?

I want to be able to do at least one, but preferably both of these things...
1) Use my TD-20 drums set-up in a semicircle...like real timpani, to practice my timpani at home using a much better timpani sound than what comes with the Roland controller now, then output the HOP timpani sounds thru my audio interface then connect to a JBL EON612 speaker to hear the great timpani sounds at home while practicing.

2) to control percussion sounds into my PreSonus StudioOne DAW using the HOP percussion sounds but played with the TD-20 drums in MIDI instead of trying to beat percussion, rolls, crescendos, diminuendos, etc. on a keyboard (ugg!).

New to MIDI and don't have E/W HOP yet, but want to make sure this will work with Roland TD-20's before spending $300 on percussion sounds.

Oh, also, how do I change timpani pitches on any/all the drums....thru the TD-20 controller or within E/W HOP only?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 05-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
Oh, also, how do I change timpani pitches on any/all the drums....thru the TD-20 controller or within E/W HOP only?
I've never used a MIDI controller through the MIDI ports on an audio interface, so I can't speak on how that works, but for this part you will need to see if you can tie each drum to an actual note (so for instance, snare = C2, floor tom = F2, etc.).

Took a quick look at the manual and you do that with "note numbers." Chart on page 96 of the manual that shows what note number = what pitch

My recommendation is to set it up and see if it is transmitting the MIDI notes properly, by opening up your DAW and seeing if it triggering the proper notes. If it is, I don't think there would be any problem using it for HOP

Would definitely be cool to see if this works. Much better way to record percussion than on a keyboard
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 05-15-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4L88 View Post
Took a quick look at the manual and you do that with "note numbers." Chart on page 96 of the manual that shows what note number = what pitch
Specifically what manual are you looking at. The two manuals I have...Hollywood Orchestral Percussion Gold and Play her 5, neither has a chart on pg 96.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
Specifically what manual are you looking at. The two manuals I have...Hollywood Orchestral Percussion Gold and Play her 5, neither has a chart on pg 96.
TD-20 owner's manual

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4L88 View Post
TD-20 owner's manual
Ay! I'll look there. When I looked at the midi section of my TD-20X manual before. I didn't see anything on assigning each drum trigger to a separate midi channel, as I would think I'd have to do so HOP sees different drums with which to play timpani samples, either individually or simultaneously.

BTW: I did go forward and bought the Composers Cloud monthly $29.99 set that allows me to use dozens of sample volumes, not just Hollywood Orchestra Percussion (although it is there that I expect I'll be spending 95% of my time). This gets me the gold edition of these sample suites with one microphone location and only 16-nits of sample data. So far I have only downloaded the HOP to my external HD and have produced percussion sounds with Play as a plug-in to my PreSonus StudioOne v3 DAW.

Playing percussion from a keyboard thru midi audio interface is ugly, especially for a percussionist. I certainly hope I can get my Roland TD-20X drums and controller to serve as the percussion (and timpani) trigger, with low to zero latency and high quality even at rapid percussive strokes.
See my current (per HOP purchase timpani practice setup. I do have a 4th drum (for the 4th timpani part...it just wasn't hooked up the day I took this picture.

Still, any comments, recommendations, ideas from those more familiar with E/W and percussion than me (2nd day with E/W).

Thanks,
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170513_125654.jpg (92.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Well you wouldn't want separate MIDI Channels (though you still could, it just means you would have to load the timpani patch 4 times; once for each drum if they are all on different channels), you just want to change the "note number" for each one.

So if you want to play a C, look in the manual for whatever note number = C (and the proper octave) and set that drum to that note and repeat for each of your drums. And then if they are all set to the same MIDI channel then you don't need to load the timpani patch multiple times

Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 PM

adminatron is on a distinguished road

I use on board sounds recording... I can't deal with latency XD

I'm sure you can get it to play the samples, but not sure how it'll sound... most Vi percussion can't handle fast reps maybe tomorrow I'll see how it sounds, I have HW perv iirc

i7 5960x -128 gb 2800 cas 14 corsair dominator platinum - asus rampage V extreme

Plugins: Steven Slate Drums 4.0 Platinum, Sampletank 3, Komplete 10 Ultimate, LA scoring strings Full, EWQL Silk, Ra, Hollywood Brass, Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds, Symphonic Orchestra, Gyspy, Spaces, Symphonic Choirs, Waves Gold Bundle
Old 05-19-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I use on board sounds recording... I can't deal with latency XD
I agree, this proposed setup won't work for either home timpani practice or rehearsals if latency is even slight. It would develop bad habits to play in time with what my speakers are sounding.

But getting the sounds to sound off my four TD-20 pads at specific pitches, per the music, is also a concern for this proposed setup.

I'd like to hear how it went for you, adminitron.