Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 02-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Silver Member

George Bellas is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up EastWest MIDI Guitar Instruments

1. Can vibrato and various degrees of vibrato depth of a sample sound be triggered by executing vibrato on a Fishman equipped guitar?

2. Likewise, can a portamento articulation be triggered by sliding on a Fishman equipped guitar?

I'm also curious about the response and accuracy of the MIDI sounds and what may be the upper limit of speed.

Congrats to the EastWest team and Fishman. This technology appears to have come a long way and is quite exciting.

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6, Logic Pro X, PLAY 5, RME RayDAT, Focusrite Red Series and ISA Mic Pres, Apogee Converters, Coleman Audio SR5.1 MKII

Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass Diamond, Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, Symphonic Choirs, QL Pianos, Silk, Voices of Passion, Stormdrum 2, Gypsy, Goliath, Ministry of Rock, Voices of the Apocalypse, Superior Drummer, VE Pro, Spaces
Old 02-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Gold Member

Marcusmax is on a distinguished road

Yeah anything that improves on the old Roland system or any of the other more recent approaches would be a godsend. It will be interesting to see how well it works in real life. The pickup itself is quite expensive and seems to be a bit of a pain to fit - reminiscent of the Roland in that way anyway!

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / Symphonic Choirs Gold / EW Solo Violin / Spaces / Stormdrum / The Dark Side / Ghostwriter / Ra + other libraries.

"Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marcusmax

CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/duberry
Old 02-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

9I have both the Roland and the Fishman Tripleplay and the Fishman is miles ahead.

I had some fun with the Roland in the past, but in my opinion it didn't really work that well. First of all because of the latency, but also because it sometimes wouldn't pick up the notes i was playing, or it would trigger the wrong note.. You could "fix" it somehow by turning up the sensitivity but then you lost all the dynamics.. I still have it installed on one of my older guitars, but i never use it. I just gave up and started playing keyboard instead.

Then two years ago i saw the Tripleplay on sale (50% off), so i thought why not give it a try.

I was impressed with it. The response is pretty much like on a keyboard. You can play fast notes, strum chords, use slide, bends and the whammy bar. I think it works really well.

But by that time i already knew the basics of the keyboard, so i still mainly use that. The reason for that is because the guitar has six strings and the way its normally tuned. For example the voicing of the most common chord shape for G major chord (strumming all six strings) is different from the way most people would play a G major on a piano. Also you dont "strum" the chords on a piano or keyboard. So basically when you play guitar, you play it like a guitar, and when you play a piano you play it like a piano. (oh,reeeally..).lol..

For guitarists who can't play the keyboard i think the Tripleplay is a great unit.
I have used it with some EastWest sounds and in my opinion it worked well, so it will be interesting to see what's new here.
As a guitarist myself i don't see the point of the guitar library since i would obviously just use my real guitars instead of samples..
But having access to other "strummed" instruments is cool, since playing those instruments on a guitar will give a more realistic performance than a keyboard+editing will give. And of course having access to all the high quality EastWest instruments is great too.

Compared to the Roland unit, I found the Fishman Tripleplay much easier to install, and you can remove it when you don't use it. It's also wireless. So its a huge step forward.

Last edited by Morten Gjermundsen; 02-03-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

Very interesting post Morten. I may well give it a try if I can get some sort of deal on the pickup cos like you I now use a keyboard for all midi duties although I am mainly a guitarist, mostly playing classical with some rock and jazz. It would be very interesting however to play these EW sounds on a guitar although I also have reservations about how suitable guitar technique and style is to playing a lot of those instruments, especially orchestral and so on. I have the Roland system on both a guitar and a bass but rarely use it due to the latency and general inaccuracy. I also have a Yourock guitar which although a bit of a cheapie is actually surprisingly good, much better in terms of tracking than the Roland system. No doubt the Fishman is far superior to both.

Anyway, interesting to see if anyone comments on the OP's questions ( sorry for the slight detour!)

Mark

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / Symphonic Choirs Gold / EW Solo Violin / Spaces / Stormdrum / The Dark Side / Ghostwriter / Ra + other libraries.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

Just for fun i tried the Tripleplay now on some of the current East West instruments and sliding and vibrato didnt work. Hopefully this is a feature that is added to the new libraries.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Here's a quick video that shows some of the instruments in action. Morten, there are many guitars of every type, both electric and acoustic, plus many bass guitars included in the Guitar & Bass volume, it's for those that don't have an extensive collection or can't take them all on the road.

https://vimeo.com/196975052

Last edited by admin; 02-04-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:36 PM

JerryLan is on a distinguished road

Hi Morten.
Have you ever played with the Strum GS-2 from Applied Accoustics? Functionally I found it very cool. It has keys on the left and the right which define which strum to use then it uses an algorithm to allow the right hand to chose almost any chord by a combination of root, second, third and fifth, sixth seventh or ninth. I was curious if anything like it exists on the Composer Cloud. I have not found such a thing. Although functionally Strum is awesome, I think that an EW sound set would be better.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 AM
Gold Member

Hi,
Sorry, but im not familiar with that vst. Im not sure but maybe you can find something similar in Gypsy. I know it has a few strumming patterns and chords you can change between using keyswitches.
But i don't know how realistic you can get them to sound. I always just record my own guitars.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:55 PM

JerryLan is on a distinguished road

So due to the promise of the offering from EW I went out and bought a Strat and a Fishman. So far I am of the belief that I got a defective unit due to terrible tracking. Although they have offered, unfortunately their support is only open at times that make it difficult for people in the western US to take advantage of it. I am wondering if the EW release will help, but I kind of doubt it. I am very tired of buying tech and being disappointed.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLan View Post
So due to the promise of the offering from EW I went out and bought a Strat and a Fishman. So far I am of the belief that I got a defective unit due to terrible tracking. Although they have offered, unfortunately their support is only open at times that make it difficult for people in the western US to take advantage of it. I am wondering if the EW release will help, but I kind of doubt it. I am very tired of buying tech and being disappointed.
Oh that's a pity. Yes, very disappointing I'm sure. Hopefully it is the particular unit you got rather than a design fault. I have been hoping that this new setup will genuinely be a vast improvement on the older tech.

I hope you do manage to get it sorted soon.