Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 PM

GI Jim is on a distinguished road
Default Considering joining BUT...

Hello everyone!

I just registered on here to ask a few questions and check everything out. I use Logic Pro X and have always been a hardware guy as I've been sequencing on my keyboards for the last 20 years. Until recently. I started out with Logic's collection of sounds and have grown used to using software sounds now. I'm new to the world of samples and have spent the last coupe of months being AMAZED at the sounds and collections from various companies. The Gypsy collection blew me away along with so many other collections. I also checked out Kontakt's amazing set of sounds and am really confused which route to take.

I love the Composer Cloud idea because I don't have $11,000 laying around to buy that many sounds. I'm considering the gold service and buying the larger hard drive as I have slow internet. I'm debating wether to just buy the Gypsy collection and the Ministry of rock collection outright and not have a monthly fee. Then just buy more over time. So I have a few questions if anyone has the time and would care to help me out.

I don't know if I have the specs needed to make it work and I'm no computer guru. Here are my specs... MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)2.5 GHz Intel Core i7,16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3,AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB, and I have 399 GB's free. The IMac's total memory is 500 GB. Is this enough memory? Will I be able to just keep the library's samples on the HD they ship? OR, do I have to upgrade the memory? So lost here. I sent EastWest an email over a week ago and have had no reply. That leads to my next question...

How is their customer service? This isn't a good sign to me. Also, I see that they don't seem to be really pumping out new sounds very often like many of the other companies out there. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for the time and I hope someone here can help me in my decision process.

Jim
Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Hello! Good questions, I'll add my two cents....

Your laptop will be fine for running nearly every library with the exception of the Hollywood Diamond series (they are very resource intensive). You can definitely run libraries from the supplied HD, but would transfer them to a dedicated rive and put the original away for safekeeping. Regarding your technical concerns....

1) It's highly recommended that you load/run samples from a drive other than your main drive. So in your case, I'd just pick up an external 7200rpm drive and connect it to either USB3 or Thunderbolt.

2) You mention both a MacBook Pro and iMac...do you have both? If it's just the MacBook, the memory cannot be upgraded unfortunately...uou are stuck with 16GB (which will be fine for most Gold libraries).

3) If you don't already own one, I would buy an inexpensive USB audio interface, it will help with the smooth playback of your sample libraries.

4) EW customer support, from my many years experience, has been excellent. Seems odd that you have waited over a week.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post

Your laptop will be fine for running nearly every library with the exception of the Hollywood Diamond series (they are very resource intensive). You can definitely run libraries from the supplied HD, but would transfer them to a dedicated rive and put the original away for safekeeping. Regarding your technical concerns....

1) It's highly recommended that you load/run samples from a drive other than your main drive. So in your case, I'd just pick up an external 7200rpm drive and connect it to either USB3 or Thunderbolt.

2) You mention both a MacBook Pro and iMac...do you have both? If it's just the MacBook, the memory cannot be upgraded unfortunately...uou are stuck with 16GB (which will be fine for most Gold libraries).

3) If you don't already own one, I would buy an inexpensive USB audio interface, it will help with the smooth playback of your sample libraries.

4) EW customer support, from my many years experience, has been excellent. Seems odd that you have waited over a week.

Hope that helps!
All good advice except the hard drive supplied is the only computer powered 7200 rpm hard drive on the market, so unless you upgrade to SSD which will save you a lot of loading time and increase performance, you can use that drive, but having a back up drive is advisable also.

Please send a support ticket number for your inquiry, we'll look into it.

Last edited by admin; 05-01-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post

Hope that helps!

I hope I'm quoting correctly in here. Haven't been on a message board in forever! Lol!! I really appreciate all the info. I was planning on buying another HD this week, so that's perfect. Is there one in particular you recommend? I saw Guitar Center has a couple that are 2TB. I don't know if they're 7200 rpm drives though. I'll definitely look and go with that.

I have a Macbook Pro and an IMac. I'm using the MacBook Pro strictly for recording though as my IMac has some age on it and wouldn't keep up. That sucks to hear you can't upgrade the memory. I hadn't even thought of that. :-( I definitely won't be getting the Diamond series any time soon, so that won't be an issue. I bought the Pro HD they have here and hope to have it one day this week. I downloaded the Gypsy samples. WOW they sound good! I can't wait to hear the rest.

Like I said, I'm new to sample based recording. I'm blown away at the quality and am wondering why I spent so many thousands of dollars and so much time over the years on Ensoniq, Roland, Yamaha, Korg, etc... for sounds that don't come close to these! Lol!! I definitely have a learning curve though. I just started a Bachelor Degree 8 months ago and that's when I got this Macbook Pro. I just bought a Behringer X-Touch mixer tonight and am ordering the HD and a couple of other goodies this week. Getting new gear is always exciting, but with it comes the learning curve.

Well thanks again! And yeah... I still haven't heard back from them. I went ahead and signed up for the monthly plan for now with the Pro HD, so I'll try it out and see how it works out for me. If I feel comfortable and love the sounds as much as Gypsy, I'll go for the year at a time. Or just start buying the libraries one at a time.

Do they ever have any flash sales or discounts?

Jim
Old 05-02-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
All good advice except the hard drive supplied is the only computer powered 7200 rpm hard drive on the market, so unless you upgrade to SSD which will save you a lot of loading time and increase performance, you can use that drive, but having a back up drive is advisable also.

Please send a support ticket number for your inquiry, we'll look into it.
Thank you for the reply. So I'm confused... I can't buy a 7200 rpm drive? Is there one that you would recommend for this? I don't know what happened with the email. I'll send you a message with the original message and the address I sent it to. Maybe it went to the wrong address or something. Anyways, thanks again!

Jim
Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Jim View Post
Thank you for the reply. So I'm confused... I can't buy a 7200 rpm drive? Is there one that you would recommend for this? I don't know what happened with the email. I'll send you a message with the original message and the address I sent it to. Maybe it went to the wrong address or something. Anyways, thanks again!

Jim
Hi Jim, little confused, which CC plan did you sign up for?

We supply two different "Sound Data Hard Drives", Gold for CC and PLUS for CC Plus. It's important to marry the right drive with your chosen subscription.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Oh lord... I think I messed up! I signed up for the monthly plan, but ordered the more expensive hard drive because I thought it was just a bigger HD. It was listed as a 2TB drive so I thought it just had more storage space. Is it too late to change it? and how long do they normally take to ship? I should have ordered the drive and THEN paid for the monthly subscription after I received it.

So since I ordered the wrong drive ( I believe it was labeled as the "Pro"), is it not compatible? and if not, I may just up my subscription. Just let me know either way. I'm ready to get started! :-) And I purchased a Glyph Studio mini 2TB drive for my MacBook today to transfer everything else I could off of my Mac. I only want the bare essentials on it to help keep it running smooth. It got good reviews, so I hope it'll be good.

Thanks again for your help!

Jim
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Jim View Post
Oh lord... I think I messed up! I signed up for the monthly plan, but ordered the more expensive hard drive because I thought it was just a bigger HD. It was listed as a 2TB drive so I thought it just had more storage space. Is it too late to change it? and how long do they normally take to ship? I should have ordered the drive and THEN paid for the monthly subscription after I received it.

So since I ordered the wrong drive ( I believe it was labeled as the "Pro"), is it not compatible? and if not, I may just up my subscription. Just let me know either way. I'm ready to get started! :-) And I purchased a Glyph Studio mini 2TB drive for my MacBook today to transfer everything else I could off of my Mac. I only want the bare essentials on it to help keep it running smooth. It got good reviews, so I hope it'll be good.

Thanks again for your help!

Jim
Yes, the drive you purchased is for the PRO subscription. This is our top of the line subscription including all mic positions. If your system has performance problems just use one mic position (where applicable). We would strongly advise when you can afford it the purchase of a SSD.

Here's a tip so you can use the beauty of the other mic positions. Compose your track with one mic position to save resources. When the composition is complete replay the track and render (bounce) the other mic positions with each pass, then you can mix these in your DAW as audio files.

Last edited by admin; 05-03-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Yes, the drive you purchased is for the PRO subscription. This is our top of the line subscription including all mic positions. If your system has performance problems just use one mic position (where applicable). We would strongly advise when you can afford it the purchase of a SSD.

Here's a tip so you can use the beauty of the other mic positions. Compose your track with one mic position to save resources. When the composition is complete replay the track and render (bounce) the other mic positions with each pass, then you can mix these in your DAW as audio files.
Thank you for the tip. That should work nicely. I shouldn't be taxing the system too hard as I'm not creating full orchestral sessions. I'm an instrumental pianist and pay rock, easy listening, etc.. I mostly stick to pianos and cellos, but will definitely be writing some rock with the guitars in Ministry of Rock. I may try my hand at composing for video games.

So will I have to upgrade my service to use that hard drive? If so, what will be the difference? Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

If you wanted to utilize the PRO drive samples, which include 24-bit samples and all mic positions on the Hollywood Orchestra and Solo Instruments Diamond, Platinum Pianos, Choirs, and Symphonic Orchestra, then you would need to upgrade to ComposerCloud Plus. That subscription is a year commitment which you can pay $599 upfront, or you have the option to pay for it in monthly installments of $49.99.

Alternatively, a good amount of the libraries included on that hard drive are the same, so if you have more space in another location, you could keep the subscription you currently have, but download the Gold versions of the Hollywood and Symphonic Orchestras, Symphonic Choirs, and Pianos in another location. I would not, however, recommend deleting the Platinum/Diamond libraries from the PRO drive to make room, as the only one of those libraries available for download through the EW Installation Center is the Symphonic Choirs Platinum.
Closed Thread