Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box
View Poll Results: Should EastWest make a Solo Bass Trombone instrument?
Yes, they should make a standalone Bass Trombone Instrument. 7 100.00%
No, it is not really necessary. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:07 PM

Th3Seeker02 is on a distinguished road
Default Standalone Bass Trombone

Hi guys,

I don't know if you've ever thought about it, but the Bass Trombone is pretty important to the low brass section. It is the sonic bridge between the tuba and the tenor trombones. I know that on the Hollywood Brass Library there is a 2 Tenor Trombone + 1 Bass Trombone patch, but I truly believe that it is with utmost importance that a standalone Bass Trombone patch be provided, whether it would be through Symphonic Orchestra or through Hollywood Brass.

There's just some techniques that a cimbasso can't fulfill that a Bass Trombone can. Like, a cimbasso isn't going to be able to glissando from a F just below the staff down to a C. A cimbasso is built to be a brass bass with a trombone-esque timbre. A Bass Trombone is a multi-purpose instrument, both in function and in the manipulation of the instrument thereof.

For those who don't really do glissandi with a Bass Trombone, the 2T+1B patch is pretty good. But for those who work out of notations softwares like Finale, the 2T+1B patch is not enough. Realistically, a standalone instrument is needed, with keyswitches, the appropriate long articulations, short articulations, Mod, EFX, and other patches that would be deemed worthy of such an amazing instrument.

Am I the only who thinks about this?
Old 01-15-2018, 12:22 AM

cubase99 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I agree.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:17 PM

Olly is on a distinguished road

I agree as well! At the end of the day, a cimbasso isn't a bass trombone... I find it strange it was included instead, as it's a much rarer instrument in most symphony orchestras. I suppose the cimbasso was likely put in as the library was intended to mimic film score instrumentations, but still it's a sad loss that a solo BT wasn't included.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 AM

ecurb is on a distinguished road

+1. It always seemed a really odd and unfortunate omission to me. Kind of like if they'd decided not to provide a piccolo with the flutes, or an English horn/cor anglais with the oboes.

EDIT: Not wanting to hijack this thread, but kind of related and I also always wondered - in the old EWQL Symphonic Orchestra library, why do bassoons, and only bassoons, not have any tutti patches among the woodwinds ???

Bruce.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:17 PM

Desmond is on a distinguished road

As long as it comes with (or is) an ensemble I would be in. For the type of music I write I don't really see a place for only a solo bass trombone.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:03 AM

Th3Seeker02 is on a distinguished road

I'm *hoping* they will include it as a Hollywood Brass or equivalent. The fact is: it is needed, regardless of the ensemble it is in. And the whole reason that this is even a discussion is that a standalone Bass Trombone instrument is *not* included with the Hollywood Brass or even Symphonic Orchestra's Brass. Quite a sad dilemma. Therefore, it *must* be created.
Closed Thread

Tags
bass trombone