Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

oleJoergensen is on a distinguished road

I use Diamond and after experimenting with the different mics, I like to use Strings from the powerful folder with a mix of close, mid and main mics- I sounds great. But I uses a lot of ram. I would also recommend SSD.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:12 AM
Silver Member

DJB is on a distinguished road

What balance do you use with the mics please? I'd like to try it out but would absolutely need SSD to run multiple across the strings.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Marcusmax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
The 24bit samples do take a while to load and I have to run through the song a few times for the samples to play properly... Not ideal but is ok. I'm sure with an Ssd it would be a million times better!
Yes I have a similar situation when running the library from my Mini's 2nd internal HD where I have to run the sequencer a few times for the project to play. As you say, not the end of the world but a bit of a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleJoergensen View Post
I use Diamond and after experimenting with the different mics, I like to use Strings from the powerful folder with a mix of close, mid and main mics- I sounds great. But I uses a lot of ram. I would also recommend SSD.
Thanks Ole. When you say you use a lot of RAM, how much generally would you use when running a full HO project including the string mic mix you describe? I'm trying to get an idea of whether my slave's 32 GB would suffice. I'm guessing not but would love to hear what real-world usage would be. The recommended system requirements seem grossly under-stated regarding RAM.
Mac Mini Server, 2.0 GHz i7 quad core, 16 GB ram / Slave PC, 3.4 GHz i7 quad, 32 GB ram, 275 GB Crucial SSD for libraries / macOS 10.12.6, Windows 7 Pro / Logic Pro X 10.4.2 / Sibelius 6.2 / Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 / Metric Halo ULN-2+DSP / Dynaudio BM5A monitors.

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / multiple other libraries from EW, NI, Soniccouture etc.

"Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marcusmax

CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/duberry
Old 03-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What balance do you use with the mics please? I'd like to try it out but would absolutely need SSD to run multiple across the strings.
In the Player Gui mic volume:close mic 7, mid mic 8, main mic 7.
Sometimes I use the divissis (close mic) instead of the close mics. Sometimes i use close and mid. Sometimes I layer Hollywood strings with other string library.

I wish East west would update hollywood strings, as some of the other company has done with their string libraries, so they are more playable. I think hollywood strings samples sounds great.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

DJB is on a distinguished road

Great, thanks I'll give that a go. I agree, I think the library could benefit from some programming updates. It is a great sounding library though.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusmax View Post
Yes I have a similar situation when running the library from my Mini's 2nd internal HD where I have to run the sequencer a few times for the project to play. As you say, not the end of the world but a bit of a pain.

Thanks Ole. When you say you use a lot of RAM, how much generally would you use when running a full HO project including the string mic mix you describe? I'm trying to get an idea of whether my slave's 32 GB would suffice. I'm guessing not but would love to hear what real-world usage would be. The recommended system requirements seem grossly under-stated regarding RAM.
Hello Marcus.

All Woodwinds: 10 articulations, mid mic
All Brass: 14 articulations. main mic
Percussion (a lot), main mic
Piano: 2 mic
Harp: 2 mic
All Strings: 16 articulations, close+mid+ divissi mic

Approximately 57 GB of Ram.
Without the String Divissi mic 42.5 GB Ram.
I most say I seldom if ever uses al these articulations in my template but I like to have them loaded if I need them.

About SSD, it is not necessary to buy the superfast ones. My template is hosted in Ve-pro. When I load this massive 57 GB template, the max read time I see in Windows task manager are 270 MB/S. Mostly the read time is around 90-130 MB/s. But Play gets faster and faster...
Old 03-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

Marcusmax is on a distinguished road

Ok that's great Ole. Interesting that you only use the one mic in the other 3 sections. I probably use between 2 and 8 articulations per instrument, strings obviously needing the most. So I might get away with 32 GB but only just and it would be a squeeze. Unless I was to run the less demanding instruments from the Mac with its 16 GB, that might be possible, I will be doing everything through VePro. I'd need to fit a 2nd SSD in the PC if the supplied drive isn't a runner. I already have a Crucial MX 300 so I'd probably get something similar but with more capacity.

Must look into spreading the load between the master and the slave. Does anyone do it like that or is it best to keep everything on the one machine in terms of the samples?
Mac Mini Server, 2.0 GHz i7 quad core, 16 GB ram / Slave PC, 3.4 GHz i7 quad, 32 GB ram, 275 GB Crucial SSD for libraries / macOS 10.12.6, Windows 7 Pro / Logic Pro X 10.4.2 / Sibelius 6.2 / Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 / Metric Halo ULN-2+DSP / Dynaudio BM5A monitors.

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / multiple other libraries from EW, NI, Soniccouture etc.

"Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marcusmax

CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/duberry
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

You could have the Woodwinds and/or percussion library on the main computer.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusmax View Post
Ok that's great Ole. Interesting that you only use the one mic in the other 3 sections
The other 3 section will of course benefit with the use of other mics but I think this setup can be used.
I forgot to write that al the strings articulations I use are from the powerful folder, which means they use a lot of Ram.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Great, thanks I'll give that a go. I agree, I think the library could benefit from some programming updates. It is a great sounding library though.
Yes, I meant programming. I think Hollywood strings are one of the best sounding string libraries- just mine opinion
Closed Thread