Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 07-01-2017, 08:30 PM

Dean1111 is on a distinguished road
Question Thunderbolt external hard drive

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience using thunderbolt 2 external hard drives to load EastWest sample libraries? are they fast enough? I have never had my sample libraries on an external hard drive, and I am running out of space, upgrading internal drive is too expensive, and I am paying $1000 for 500GB extra, while I can get a Lacie, Western Digital or G-Technology thunderbolt external hard drive (7200rpm) for less money and much more space, but before I do I thought I ask you guys here to see if it worth it? if it is fast enough?
I will really appreciate your help.

Regards

Aydin
Old 07-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

I have a Lacie 3TB T-Bolt 2 drive (powered 7200) for most libraries. Still too slow for Hollywood Strings though. For those bigger, resource hungry drives, SSD is the way to go.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
I have a Lacie 3TB T-Bolt 2 drive (powered 7200) for most libraries. Still too slow for Hollywood Strings though. For those bigger, resource hungry drives, SSD is the way to go.
Thank you so much for your reply Jeremy, how long it takes to load the samples for you? I have Hollywood strings (Gold), Symphonic Choir, Hollywood Brass, Stormdrum 3, I put the Stormdrum on laptop 5400 rpm hard drive in a bay connected with USB 3.0, Black magic shows the benchmark of 50/120 Mbps, and loads the storm drum fine, but Hollywood strings is a different story.
I am thinking of trying the bay that I have with an SSD, theoretically USB 3.0 can transfer 5Gbps, and SSD is about 500Mbps R/W, it should work fine.
I looked into SSD Thunderbolt external storage systems and they are very very expensive for me
Old 07-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

First of all, don't load any libraries on the 5400rpm drive, it's way too slow. If connect an external SSD to USB3, you should be fine with Hollywood Strings Gold (and at LEAST 16GB Ram).

For each patch I load from HS Gold, it's a matter of seconds, plus the streaming is smooth from SSD's. A good USB audio interface will also improve your performance.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:24 PM

Default Solved (for now)

Thank you for your reply, You are absolutely correct! I tried an SSD (Crucial BX100) in a USB 3 Bay, and it loads the strings very fast (Black magic shows 250Mbps read) I also bought a G technology USB 3 (7200rpm) which advertised as 250Mbps, but it only gives 200, and it is slow in loading strings, I stick to my SSD, I am thinking of getting a USB 3 raid and put the SSD and a 7200 rpm for backup in it.

There is only one problem, when I am working with East West Logic pro suddenly quits with no error or anything.

I have a macbook pro 2015 15" Quad core i7 2.5, 16 GB Ram 500GB storage, I have a Motu 828x connected to my laptop with Thunderbolt, and I am using my Juno DS88 as Midi controller connected with USB.

Tags
external hard drive, hard disk, hard drive, sample libraries, thunderbolt