Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box

Old 10-12-2017, 06:09 PM

fbeauvaisc is on a distinguished road

Ok so I finally got to work on a orchestral piece. I can't thank you enough. It's so easy I wonder why I never bothered to look to midi channels for articulation switching. I can finally choose up to 16 precise articulations on a single track. In a few days, I'll wonder how I ever got to work and do it without. Thanks again! Simply an awesome improvement to my workflow!

RME Fireface UFX
Windows 10
Cubase 9.0.30
Old 11-07-2017, 03:52 PM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road

This topic is probably one of the more daunting ones for new-to-orchestration folks... do you guys know of any resource (vid or print) that demystifies keyswitching and when and how and why do it and when not to and do some do it completely differently, etc?
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | EW Pianos Platinum & Symphonic Gold | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS / Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieDC View Post
This topic is probably one of the more daunting ones for new-to-orchestration folks... do you guys know of any resource (vid or print) that demystifies keyswitching and when and how and why do it and when not to and do some do it completely differently, etc?
I dont know about documents but you can surely find videos on the subject on YouTube. Personally, I've done what was suggested in the thread and went the multi midi channel way. That way you can mix different libraries on a single patch. For instance, I've joined all my tambourines from Symphonic Orchestra, Hollywood Percussions, Gypsy and Stormdrum 3 on a single multi-timbal patch and I then switch between them with midi channels. I've done the same with bass drums, snares, wooden tuned precs, metal tuned percs etc... This thread originally requested a way to build custom keyswitches. Well that solution is even better. I even built expression maps with Cubase so I can still switch channels with keys so it's basically, midi channel keyswitching. Still having a few things to iron out but it's getting pretty solid.

RME Fireface UFX
Windows 10
Cubase 9.0.30
Old 11-08-2017, 04:07 PM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeauvaisc View Post
...For instance, I've joined all my tambourines from Symphonic Orchestra, Hollywood Percussions, Gypsy and Stormdrum 3 on a single multi-timbal patch and I then switch between them with midi channels...
Oh! That I get! That's exactly what I was lost on, what EXACTLY is someone doing when they say they're combining, etc etc. That "for instance" line is worth its weight in gold, THANK you.

Honestly, me and every other noob just needs to set aside time somehow and work with our world, learning Play and Kontakt and our controller and it's interface, etc. But tips like yours are a great kick in the right direction.
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | EW Pianos Platinum & Symphonic Gold | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS / Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Use Peter Schwartz's SkiSwitcher 3 or ARTz ID with Logic Pro X and it is all a breeze.

http://www.skiswitcher.com
I'm having a problem with Cubase and multi-timbral patches, when I trigger a patch with a note or program change, whenever I play/stop or move the cursor, the midi channel resets. That does not happen with keyswitch patches. Could custom built patches using SkiSwitcher fix this?

It's a chasing issue. Cubase's expression map is kind of like a built in SkiSwitcher but I'm having problems with the articulations resetting when I use midi channels.

Do Skiswitcher have advanced chasing features?

RME Fireface UFX
Windows 10
Cubase 9.0.30
Old 11-09-2017, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

tommyrack13 is on a distinguished road

Hi François - how are your Expression Maps set up? It could be something to do with the different Articulation Types (Attribute or Direction). You'll find this in the bottom right hand corner of the Expression Maps Setup page. If you try changing the Articulation Type, does the behaviour still continue?

T
Various EWQL & other libraries - Cubase Pro 9.5 - Logic Pro X - Sibelius 7
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrack13 View Post
Hi François - how are your Expression Maps set up? It could be something to do with the different Articulation Types (Attribute or Direction). You'll find this in the bottom right hand corner of the Expression Maps Setup page. If you try changing the Articulation Type, does the behaviour still continue?

T
The actual expression maps are working fine once assigned an articulation in the key editor's expression lanes. My issue is when I want to record while playing.

Sometimes I just want to play around on the keyboard to see what could work. I have assigned, in the expression maps, keys to trigger different articulation but they don't stay selected. Whenever I press stop or move the cursor position, it resets the articulation to the top one. I always have to re-trigger the articulation until it's actually recorded and assigned in the key editor's expression lane.

RME Fireface UFX
Windows 10
Cubase 9.0.30