Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road
Default How large can I go with a Hollywood Orchestra template with one SSD?

I've been SSD-less up until now. My budget allows for one SSD (1TB) - that would fit the Hollwood Orchestra Diamond (Strings, Brass, WW, which I already have), I believe. My computer has 16 GB RAM and a fast processor (CPU load has never been a problem).

From your experience - what could I do with that? Would a full legato setup (one mic position) as well as Stac, Staccatissimo, Spic, Piz and Stac on the Bow work? "Powerful system" legatos, normal legatos?

I'd like to know what I can expect before I get my hopes up. Poor student and all.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

The problem is ram in your setup.

The powerful system patches will run fine from the SSD along with everything else but the take up 1GB+ of ram
Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Trumpoz,

thanks a lot! I got similar responses over at VI-C, so I just ordered another 16 GB of RAM along with my SSD.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 PM

eastwest7 is on a distinguished road

ssds make a big difference! Definitely worth it. You can actually fit the HO + all HO solo libraries all on a 1tb ssd, maybe more libraries?. I have heard you want to keep about 15%-30% of the SSD free for optimal performance, but I have mine at 95% and it seems to run good for me. It will be wise to take the 15% free route though if you can. Its just tempting to load on more when that is all you have. Anyways good luck with your setup.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

You can fill up SSD's with no performance decrease.
I leave a little ~3% for future updates however.
Hopefully your new RAM is a matched set with what you currently have.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:56 PM

Hi again be careful if you load over 80% on a ssd if your system files (boot drive and apps,etc.) are on it. It will slow down your computer the less full it gets above 80%. You will see a major performance decrease. If it is on an external drive that you only have samples on you may be able to get away with more, but if you have really intense libraries you may want to stick to the 70-80% area for better streaming. It may not come into play all the time, but if you do keyswitches and your moving the mod wheel on like a hollywood strings patch you may get some streaming clicks, pops, drop outs, errors, crashes, slow performance, from that drive. its about preference too, if you don't mind some of the problems that happen and it doesn't bother you then fill it up, but I just wanted to say it does make a difference in the performance of your general computer speed, the speed of your daw, and the quality of sample streaming. Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest7 View Post
Hi again be careful if you load over 80% on a ssd if your system files (boot drive and apps,etc.) are on it. It will slow down your computer the less full it gets above 80%. You will see a major performance decrease. If it is on an external drive that you only have samples on you may be able to get away with more, but if you have really intense libraries you may want to stick to the 70-80% area for better streaming. It may not come into play all the time, but if you do keyswitches and your moving the mod wheel on like a hollywood strings patch you may get some streaming clicks, pops, drop outs, errors, crashes, slow performance, from that drive. its about preference too, if you don't mind some of the problems that happen and it doesn't bother you then fill it up, but I just wanted to say it does make a difference in the performance of your general computer speed, the speed of your daw, and the quality of sample streaming. Good Luck.
This is not completely true. I have two of mine filled around 95% capacity with zero issues. As long as you aren't writing to the drive (ie; just streaming), filling them up is okay. Mechanical drives may be a different story, but we are talking about SSD's.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

EastWest7, Jeremy, thank you for your thoughts!

I've now spent a few days with my new hardware and my new template, and I'm happy with the way it turned out. The drive is 85% full, and everything's working perfectly. A few Kontakt instruments are giving me trouble, but 90% of my instruments is PLAY stuff anyway, so who gives a damn?

PLAY works flawlessly, and I'm happy I upgraded.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:22 AM

That's awesome! When the setup goes well that is a good feeling for sure And yeah I agree jspenc it probably is possible to fill up an ssd to the brim with good results and maybe just depends on your computer and other situational factors. Just my personal experience and best advice I could give. Recently when I moved sounds off my boot drive it DRAMATICALLY increased the speed of my computer performance in general and in my DAW, so I guess I can only speak for myself - it seemed to help to leave extra 20-30% space on my ssd open for me, but I have my boot on the same drive as the samples... One day I want to get everything onto dedicated internal ssd streaming drives & get everything off the boot drive, I feel like like ultimately that is ideal. But if it is working good it is not a big deal to just keep running it however you have it setup, even if the drive is maxed out to 95% if it works it works. My experience is that if you notice things slowing down, it's probably because the ssd is a bit too full, if there are no speed or streaming problems then you would be golden. But anyways, glad your setup is working good!
Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest7 View Post
but I have my boot on the same drive as the samples...
For smooth performance, these need to be separated. That being said, I once tested Hollywood Strings on my internal flash drive (MB Pro) and it works like a charm. I still use it like that when using a single machine with smaller templates.