Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

nick1981 is on a distinguished road
Default Setup for smooth operation

I worked a project which contained file sizes with well over one hundred midi tracks. Here are the specs I had:

Mac Host: 32gigs of ram running Digital Performer 8

PC Slave: 64gigs of ram, Diamond Strings on its own Samsung 850evo SSD, Brass on its own SSD, Woodwinds and Percussion on a shared SSD, and another SSD with Symphonic Choirs, RA and Symphonic Orchestra. All using an i7-3930k 3.2gGHz.

Basically, the system chugged at times. Moving forward, I'm going all PC with the latest edition of Cubase, hosting any number of slaves.

In order to avoid the need to freeze tracks, and use several close mic positions at once with reverb and other effects, to roughly what extent do you suggest I go? Should I dedicate one machine to Hollywood Strings Diamond? If so, how much ram? Should I separate the strings library across multiple drives? Should I dedicate another machine to Diamond Brass, so on and so forth?

So, basically how many slaves and how much ram? (Solid state drives are assumed). You may also assume money does not matter that much. What is more important to me is a virtually frictionless workflow.

Yes, I'm one of those who knows my way around a keyboard but not necessarily how it works Can you recommend anything else to achieve quality speed?

Thanks
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22

SAMPLE LIBRARIES: Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA