Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Q&A with film composer John Powell

Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

jeb247 is on a distinguished road
Default Length of time required to begin working steadily

Hi John,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer some questions - I'm sure you're very busy and I really appreciate it.

My question regards how long it might practically take a young composer to begin working steadily and make a living from composing. I have studied music composition for 7 years at college and also did the UCLA film scoring program; every day now I try to write and pitch to potential clients (mainly for games actually now). I had a teacher who writes for AAA games say that it took him 10 years to begin making a living from composing alone.

I'm curious your take on this. Assuming an individual has the talent and stamina to continue plugging away at this dream, how many years do you think it might take to begin making a living from composing alone? I understand there is no hard and fast rule, but would appreciate your honest opinion so I can pace myself accordingly and prepare for the "long haul", however long that may be.

Thanks so much,

Jeff Broadbent
Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 PM

John Powell is on a distinguished road

Absolutely impossible to answer - a selection of responses might be "yes", "no", "never", "a week" or "25 years". This is a business that will slap you around like taking a bath in tub of horny salmon. I always say - if someone you respect tells you that you should give up, then you should give up... and if you do give up...... then you should give up......what the fuck are you listening to that tosser for. If you are going to take advice from anyone, only take the advice that you want to hear. If fear of how long it might take you to achieve your goal is that important to you, then perhaps......