Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 12-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

kstevege is on a distinguished road
Default Relative default volume between Hollywood orchestra sections

When using the Hollywood strings, brass and woods libraries together in the same mix, are the default volume levels for each section correct? I'm assuming yes but Just want to make sure. In other words, we shouldn't have to mess with cc7 to balance the libraries correct?

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram running Pro Tools 12.5
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, running VEPro6, 3 SSD drives
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Roland RD800 88Keys
Old 12-21-2016, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road

I find that I need to balance pretty much everything - and I use the PLAY mixer initially.
Generally everything is pretty close , but sometimes there's a relative volume that seems completely out of whack - and not broadly, as in sectional relationships - I'm talking about different articulations of the same instrument.
Hollywood Orchestra Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum
https://soundcloud.com/jamie-treacher
Old 12-21-2016, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

In theory, yes. But it all depends on your orchestration and what you're trying to accomplish. "Real" recordings of orchestral music get balanced differently depending on the target sound, and "Hollywood style" film soundtracks are often very different from the natural sound of an orchestra blending together in a live concert.

Consider the default levels a good starting point, not as a rule set you shouldn't changed because "that's what it's supposed to sound like". The pre-defined balance makes your process easier, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't mess with the volume/loudness in the arrangement and mixing stages of your production.

Using: ComposerCloud Complete | and a few Diamond libraries!
Old 12-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Gold Member

kstevege is on a distinguished road

Okay that's what I was hoping. Thanks for the responses

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram running Pro Tools 12.5
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, running VEPro6, 3 SSD drives
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Roland RD800 88Keys
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 AM

Jazzylee is on a distinguished road

The solo violin and cello in Hollywood Gold are extremely faint for me in comparison. I just have the stage mike position. I think I'll end up adjusting the articulation levels in Play. Is 0.00 the default setting for all articulations in Play?

It would be nice if you could increase all the articulations in an ewi at once, or the ability to down key through them and enter a value with the number pad. the pots are a little touchy to get them all equal.

I'm wondering why it may be like this. Maybe if I had the close mike, the current setting for the main mike would make sense as an additional mike? Therefore I may be looking at a lot of adjusting if I don't pay up annually? Wait... looking at the solo violin, I have the close mike, but not close mike V, mid, mid V or main. Ok scramble what I said, but the point remains.

Just thinking out loud on this. Curious what others are experiencing.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Raden Agung is on a distinguished road

actually default volume all hollywood lib is pretty closed with the real orchestra and very logic. like solo hollywood instruments is very thin as a solo instrument. If you compose big orchestra with solo instrument don't expected solo instrument will be louder than big orchestra unleash orchestra dynamic turn down to pianissimo or in other way if you want unlogic way you can adjust solo instrument volume vs forte dynamic orchestra