Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 01-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

kstevege is on a distinguished road
Default HO Woodwinds and Brass Keyswitch Patch

For my existing orchestral template I was using separate tracks for each articulation. After finishing a full orchestral piece under a tight deadline it was just too overwhelming to go through each instrument and cut and paste the notes from my master phrase to each appropriate articulation track. It was crazy nuts and my brain was spinning!

So now I'm trying to slim down my template as best as I could. (FYI - All articulations are stored on PC Slave via VEPro 6). I use Pro Tools which doesn't have a script function so I am not able to create my own keyswitches with any 3rd party software therefore I am at the mercy of the library I am using.

Unlike Hollywood strings, I was excited to see that Hollywood Brass and Woodwinds have master keyswitch patches to cover a majority of your typical articulations. This evening I was testing the sounds of the master keyswitch patches for each instrument to compare it to my prior template of HO woodwinds and brass.

Now I'm not sure if it is me, but it seems the articulations used in the master keyswitch patches are lite versions of the normal articulations found in the legato and long folders for each respective library. To my ears the sounds of the keyswitch articulations are not as high definition compared to the normal articulations I originally used form the long and legato folders.

I'm just checking in with you guys and gals to see if my perception is correct.

Thanks!!

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram running Pro Tools 12.5
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, running VEPro6, 3 SSD drives
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Roland RD800 88Keys
Old 01-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Gold Member

I'm trying the keyswitch patches right now and looking at the player view to get hints at what samples are being used compared to the normal corresponding patch. First thing I notice right away is that the keyswitch articulations do not contain release samples. Second thing is that the envelopes (attack, hold, decay, sis, release) are different for the keyswitch versus the regular patches. This is not a good thing and its forcing me to re think whether keyswitch patches for Hollywood brass and woodwinds are even worth using!! Very, very disappointed. I am starting to think now that unless East/West is going to update Play to allows us to make custom keyswitches (or some other method to change articulations such as program change) that I may be forced to look for another orchestral library!!

Can anyone chime in here?

UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Roland RD800 88Keys
Old 01-19-2017, 12:48 AM

Nef is on a distinguished road

When I use different articulations within one track, I separate them via midi channel, i.e. I load the articulations I need in Play and set an individual midi channel for each one. When I want to switch articulations in the track, I just change the midi channel of the note. Is that not an option for you?

My site: www.michaelcirak.com
My band: www.terrateya.com

Do yourself so much good, that there's enough left over for everyone!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 AM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nef View Post
When I use different articulations within one track, I separate them via midi channel, i.e. I load the articulations I need in Play and set an individual midi channel for each one. When I want to switch articulations in the track, I just change the midi channel of the note. Is that not an option for you?
I tried this method once but it didn't work for me.
Because when you draw a curve in a controller lane, the curve only applies to those voices on midi channel 1. You can select regions of the CC curve and change the midi channel of that section, but it's all too clunky.
I'm using expression maps at the moment.
Hollywood Orchestra Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum
https://soundcloud.com/jamie-treacher
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nef View Post
it doesn't work in Pro Tools

UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Roland RD800 88Keys