Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road
Default Mac MIDI Controller Surface Opinions

Hi,

It's been asked a million times on here, but I'm currently in the market for a control surface. I'm happy with my Korg NanoKontrol2, but would like to have control over plug-in parameters, etc (I like how the Korg is setup to handle just the transport and mixer). My main question is....should I go with an iPad or hardware controller? I love using Logic remote from my iPhone 5, but the screen is so tiny (I use it for mixing). I'm tempted to buy an iPad to see how it handles other tasks, such as tweaking parameters in Kontakt and Omnisphere. Heck, I could probably run Logic X entirely from the iPad.....plus Lemur is very cool. Plan B is to buy a Nektar Panorama P1, which is very functional as well.

Both options will set me back about $400, which is fine, but I'd like to hear to opinions from anyone who is using either of these. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Do I really need a control surface? I've gone 20+ years without one, but figure it would add some creativity and streamlining into the mix.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

tommyrack13 is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeremy,

Just to chip in regarding the Nektar. I have a Nektar Panorama P6 (which is, as I understand it, a 69 key keyboard with the P1 built into it) as a keyboard/controller all in one and it's a reasonably nice piece of kit. Faders, encoders, and buttons all seem to work pretty well. Might be my tech illiteracy, but I find that the software doesn't seem to play too nicely between the Panorama and Logic. Takes quite a bit of tinkering for things to behave - or perhaps my system is buggy! Hardware-wise though, it has a nice feel - not million dollar, but definitely not cheap.

One thing to note, depending on how you're planning on using it and your hand span/dexterity, the increased size of the faders compared to the NanoKontrol (which is also sitting on the studio desk here!) means that the CC response feels quite different. The range is deeper on the Panorama, which can be good for finer control movements, but it also means you can end up with a very contorted hand shape in a way that doesn't happen with a smaller controller for controlling multiple parameters all at once.

I've heard really great things about using iPads with Lemur or TouchOSC, but zero experience personally so no comments there. Hope some of the above is helpful at least!

T
Various EWQL & other libraries - Cubase Pro 9.5 - Logic Pro X - Sibelius 7
Old 04-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

Well, obviously we already talked but about the Novation, but I've also messed around with TouchOSC. I never got around to making it work with my own custom setups, but other than that it's a great app. I haven't taken the time to figure out why it wasn't reading my custom presets but if you can get that rolling it is definitely a cool and variable program!
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 04-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Diamond Member

Thanks for the tips! TouchOSC looks funky, and dirt cheap.

Conrad, thanks for all the great info you sent me. Incidentally, I was able to borrow a Novation Zero SL MK2 this past weekend, and I must say it's a real pain to use with the latest version of Logic. I wanted to love this unit, but just couldn't get everything to sync up in Automap mode (also not a fan of how Automap "wraps" all of the AU's).

What I'd really like is a more robust version of the Korg NanoKontrol2, with a few extra assignable knobs; I love that controller...it's just to tiny
Old 04-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
I wanted to love this unit, but just couldn't get everything to sync up in Automap mode (also not a fan of how Automap "wraps" all of the AU's).
Yeah, I actually have all my Automap AU's disabled so they don't show up, since I don't actually use the Novation for plug-in control, just MIDI controls. Definitely a pain to get use to Automap, but once you get the hang of it...it's bearable
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

Touch OSC is brilliant. You can customise it to what you need.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:42 AM
Diamond Member

Since it's time to upgrade my M-Audio Keystation 88, I ended up ordering one of these....

http://www.nektartech.com/impact-lx88-plus.html

Should do everything I need.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

kstevege is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpoz View Post
Touch OSC is brilliant. You can customise it to what you need.
This or Metagrid?

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram running Pro Tools 12.5
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, running VEPro6, 3 SSD drives
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Roland RD800 88Keys
Closed Thread