Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

djwayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hans Zimmer Masterclass...????

Has anybody taken this and would you recommend it ???

I'm thinking about signing up for it soon......

Performer, writer, owner of a very well equipped home studio. My East West collection includes Symphonic Orchestra Silver and Gold, Goliath, Gypsy, Fab Four, Silver Bechstein Piano, Gold Pianos, ProDrummer Vol 1 & 2, Hollywood Strings Gold, Hollywood Solo Violin Gold, Hollywood Brass Gold, Hollywood Percussion Gold, RA, Ghostwriter, QL Spaces, and Play 6.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

Well I signed up for it....fascinating.....

Performer, writer, owner of a very well equipped home studio. My East West collection includes Symphonic Orchestra Silver and Gold, Goliath, Gypsy, Fab Four, Silver Bechstein Piano, Gold Pianos, ProDrummer Vol 1 & 2, Hollywood Strings Gold, Hollywood Solo Violin Gold, Hollywood Brass Gold, Hollywood Percussion Gold, RA, Ghostwriter, QL Spaces, and Play 6.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

I spent the whole evening watching all of the Hans Zimmer Masterclass. About 8-9 hours of videos of instruction, tips, advice, encouragement for anyone interested in making film scores, commercials, working with orchestras or musicians, music videos or just tinkering around with writing and making music with Virtual Instruments or synths. I consider my time watching these videos time very well spent. Great experience. I won't soon forget a very enjoyable evening with Hans Zimmer. Even though I've never met him, I feel I know him very well now.

Yes I would recommend taking the class. The class costs $90 dollars, compare that to 9 hours of piano lessons. It's a bargain for the education and encouragement you get.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Gold Member

I was so inspired by the Masterclass video, I went and bought the same synth plugin that Hans uses in the series and the Batman movies. The Zebra 2 synth ($199). I also bought the Dark Zebra add-on($99) which contains presets from the Batman movies. I needed a good synth to round out my collection of sounds and virtual instruments. This is a good one, it's easy to use, sounds great, and affordable, and used by the master himself. After playing around with Zebra last night, I'm thrilled with it. Zebra is going to sound so good with my East West sounds...

Old 01-18-2018, 06:53 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Yeah, good ol' Zebra. I've had that for years, a good quality synth for sure.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

Hans playing a synth, any synth was a big surprise for me. I wasn't expecting two whole classes dedicated to creating sounds and using a SYNTH. I thought he was all about orchestral sounds, so this was a big bonus for me. I've been thinking about getting Omnisphere ($479) for my synth needs, but the Zebra 2 ($199) was way cheaper. I don't know much about synths, so getting some direction and good advice on a proven synth was not only helpful, but saved me almost $300 dollars !! I never heard of a Zebra synth until last night.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

slinky is on a distinguished road

I think his masterclass ad on youtube was the first ad that I ever watched all the way through.
Sounds like a good deal indeed.
If you can justify the cost of Omnisphere it really is the best of it's kind - I've had it for years and haven't even scratched the surface.
Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 - 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples - RME Multiface II - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - Cubase 5 64 bit - Omnisphere - Trillian - RMX -Hollywood Orch Gold -EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics - QL Choirs - Gypsy - SD1 - SD2 Pro - QL Pianos Gold - QL RA - Fab Four - Ministry of Rock - Reaktor - Memphis Horns - Ethno World II - Garritan Strings.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

The Hans Zimmer Masterclass can be compared to about a six week college course in film scoring and music production that you can take in about 9-10 hours. It has 31 separate topic classes that you can watch anytime. They all vary in length. There's also a downloadable work book, assignments, homework...plus a forum where you can talk and interact with other students who have also signed up.....

Yes the Omnisphere comes highly recommended, but for my needs the much less expensive Zebra 2 will do the job. If it's good enough for Hans Zimmer, it's good enough for me.

Taking this course is sort of like becoming friends with Hans as he's right there to guide you thru the whole maze. He's extremely encouraging, great for the moral....yes I'll be watching this masterclass repeatedly as needed. I watched the whole class last night because I couldn't stop...the advice was sooo good, I just kept watching....

Old 01-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

I've taken the HZ class as well, it's interesting but primarily anecdotal ... there's another masterclass which I actually thought was more interesting, the one by Joel Zimmerman, better known as Deadmau5.

And more recently they added masterclasses by ia Herbie Hancock, that's one I am interested in.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

MPDmike is on a distinguished road

I'm currently about half way through the Werner Herzog Masterclass, which I think is great.

The problem is that there is so much material out there that it becomes difficult knowing whether to buy it all, or if being selective will be more practical in terms of cost and time spent.

I was also very interested in the Herbie Hancock Masterclass, and was on the verge of buying it about 3 weeks ago when I did some searching of forums for confirmation that it was a good deal. In the end, I spent a similar amount buying the Mike Longo course "The Rhythmic Nature of Jazz", which is really making me think about theoretical issues.