Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 09-18-2018, 05:10 PM

Unrealize is on a distinguished road
Default Hollywood Choirs timing/positioning

I haven't been able to figure this out, but, for longer phrases, do you always have to start from the beginning and play through the whole thing?
I'm using Cubase 9.5 and I'm having trouble figuring out this.
It seems odd to me that I should have to play through my entire phrase (or multiple sentences) to get to the part I'm working on..

I'm not sure I'm able to explain exactly what I'm trying to do, but, say I have 5 sentences and I'm working on sentence 6, do I have to play through all 5 to get to the changes I did to sentence 6??
In that case it seems overly cumbersome.. I hope someone can help enlighten me on this..
Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

You can start from where you want, but you would also have to adjust where the Playback is in the Wordbuilder window itself (otherwise it will playback wherever you've left off).

For Hollywood Choirs, go to the Votox and you can put the Cursor before the syllable that you want to start on and hit F4 (F5 goes to the beginning)

For example, if you have the default:

u nO bE gin ing

But you want to start on the bE for your Playback, you'd put your cursor right before the 'b':

u nO |bE gin ing

Then hit F4
Old 09-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Ah, splendid, thank you so much!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

Not sure if it's similar or the same, but when i used Symphonic Choir i found it much easier to just load a new instance of PLAY and the choir/wordbuilder for each pharse i was making. That way i didn't have to worry about the cursor or F4 & F5, or messing up some of the other phrases/sentences while editing.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 AM

That would make sense to me, but wouldn't that add greatly to the processor load? Or could you run multiple instances of play with the same choir loaded without adding to the ram usage..?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

Sorry, i forgot about this one. Yes, running multiple instances of Play and HC will increase cpu load and ram usage. So, it depends on your computer specs, but its worth trying out.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:33 AM

Thanks! No worries. I'll just pop a few in there and see what happens..
Old 09-28-2018, 12:13 AM

Mauricio is on a distinguished road

I am having some problem with positioning with Play 6.x
I am using Cubase 9.5 (I tested it on Mixcraft 8 too, with the same results)
With Play 5 everything works fine, but with Play 6, every time I press play, wordbuilder begins from the beginning again, and not from where it stopped. And this affects F4 too, so basically, when I press play, wordbuilder resets the positioning.

I tried the following:

With the plugin open, if I just use my MIDI keyboard everything works fine, the text keep playing from where I stopped, and F4 positions correctly; there is no reset to the beginning of the text.

From the DAW, if I play until some point, stop the playing, and then play something with the MIDI keyboard there are, again, no problems, it continues playing from the next syllable as it should. F4 works fine too in this situation.

However, if I play with the DAW, make a stop and play again, wordbuilder will reset to the beginning. If I make a stop, use F4 at some syllable and press play, it will reset to the beginning too, and not from where it should. It seems that the problem is when pressing play from the DAW.

Have someone else encountered the same problem? At the moment, it's quite difficult to work with large texts, basically I am thinking about downgrading to Play5, but then I miss Hollywood choirs...

Any help appreciated,
Mauricio
Old 10-26-2018, 08:05 PM

Sorry for not seeing this earlier. Yes, I have the same problem. At least as I can see it as I'm working on it at the moment, F4 does absolutely nothing for me. Even with very small phrases this is a problem. I have a three word phrase I'm working on, but there's a bit of timing between word one and the two last, and it's really a hassle to get that done when you have to play through the whole thing each time you do any midi edits..

Sorry that I can't be much help here, I'm just hoping that someone can chime in.. :P
Old 11-10-2018, 04:38 AM

widekeys is on a distinguished road

If you want to work on a short phrase in context of a bigger piece try this:

Disable lines of the wordbuilder with the # symbol. Set your Reset Position CC (32?) to 127 and you are able to listen to isolated phrases without the need to constantly set cursors or press buttons.

This is how I produced the last choir piece (youtube link). It's all one worldbuilder instance per section.

Tags
cubase, hollywood choirs, timeline, timing