Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 03:28 AM

Thor is on a distinguished road
Question What's the Difference?

What's the difference between Eastwest Hollywood Orchestra to Eastwest Symphonic Orchestra?
And what is the best for me? I never used EastWest but only HALion Symphonic Orchestra, and it's holy crap.
By the way: I saw Eastwest Symphonic Orchestra is much expensive than Eastwest Hollywood Orchestra? Why? And what is the most recommended for beginner musician and in total?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:51 AM
Gold Member

Marcusmax is on a distinguished road

Huge difference, though both are excellent libraries. Hollywood is the more recent product by far and in most ways much better. HO is more expensive than SO though, check again. You must not have been comparing the right versions. Gold HO vs. Gold SO or Diamond HO vs. Platinum SO. Search on the forum and you'll find lots of comparisons between the two. Also listen to the demos. But if you have to choose between the two, go for HO definitely. There's more of a learning curve involved in getting it to sound as good as it can but it's really worth it.

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / Symphonic Choirs Gold / EW Solo Violin / Spaces / Stormdrum / The Dark Side / Ghostwriter / Ra + other libraries.

"Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marcusmax

CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/duberry
Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Piano Pete is on a distinguished road

The lower tier HWO Is roughly the same cost as Symphonic, with the current sale. The full diamond version is more expensive. HWO has much higher quality of instruments, but Symphonic orchestra is nothing to scoff at. There are also some slight discrepancies between the instruments contained in both packs, so that may be a factor for you.

I think the major thing to ask yourself: What do you want to do with it? Are you planning on using the instruments in a DAW, where they can really shine, or within Finale or Sibelius? If you want to dip your feet into the world of digital music, you may want to go with composer cloud, or go with a lower tiered version of the samplers. However, if you want to do this professionally, I would recommend getting, and learning, the equipment that you are most likely to be using down the road. I would also keep in mind the software that is capable of running on the hardware you own or are planning on owning. I purchased HWO diamond awhile back because the price was too good to pass up for the quality of the instruments. At the time, I did not have the hardware to fully utilize it, but I was eventually able to put together everything I needed, so it was an investment. If I had to get one full version of any library that EWQL has to offer, it would be HWO: period. I am enjoying Composer Cloud for the access to the other libraries. The additional mic positions and features restricted to the diamond versions are not as vital to me in these libraries, as HWO is the bulk of my arsenal. I believe CC now offers a version for the diamond libraries. I am sure someone would be able to answer that.

Of course everyone's financial situations are different, pretty much everything I own has been purchased during major sales. December-February is typically a good time for sales in the audio world, as is the early or late summer period. A lot of companies offer hefty discounts to students. Avoid education versions, love education discounts! (I have not seen a lot of educational software in audio production.) In regards to getting the hardware to run everything -- if you can you build your own computers, the better. A lot of part distributors have amazing sales around February, as this seems to be the "new year" for the computer world.

In the end, ask yourself what your goal is, what can you afford, and what would get you the most value. If you want to experiment with a bunch of different sounds outside of the traditional orchestra, CC may be for you. For a year's subscription price, you get a lot more choices than the price of a single library has to offer. If you know you are going to be predominantly using orchestral sounds, and you really want to pursue using the libraries, invest in HWO and good hardware, they really go hand in hand. You will not be disappointed with the quality of the instruments, but be prepared to do some research and reading. There are upgrades available from Silver-Gold, and Gold-Diamond. That may be of value to you.

If you are a complete novice to the world of digital music, it is going to be confusing whether you are staring at Symphonic Orchestra or Hollywood Orchestra. If it were me, and what I did, I would go straight for HWO. You'll be confused, but the more you use it, the easier it will get, but once you get going, you'll have a much stronger palette at your disposal. HWO is the newer library between the two.

There is a lot of great information about DAWs, samplers, mixing, and technical troubleshooting. There are some great forums, like this one, youtube, free courses, and paid courses. Askvideo has a series on HWO, it may be helpful once you make you purchase decision.

What is best specifically for you? Some additional information may be required to be of more help.

Slave: Windows 10, CPU-Xeon 2680, Radeon 240, MB-Asus x99 WS-E 3.1, 64GB DDR4, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (OS), 2x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB (Samples), WD 1TB HD (Storage).

Samples: EW Hollywood Orchestra, Gypsy, Solo Violin, Choirs (expansion), Spaces. CCX.

DAW- Cubase, Protools, VEP5, Keyboard- Alesis Q88, Midi Controller- Nektar Panorama P1
Closed Thread