Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Music Cafe

Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 PM

jmd2479 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jmd2479 Send a message via Yahoo to jmd2479
Default Upbeat/Light Orchestral

Hey all,

The organization I'm working for is celebrating its 50th anniversary. They're making a documentary video and I'm composing some intro and outro music for it. They want upbeat, fast-paced, forward-looking music.

Here's draft 1 of the intro music. Your thoughts and comments, particularly on the mix and how I could improve it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Wav file: https://app.box.com/files/0/f/130873...f_152384397252
Mp3: https://app.box.com/s/195zeaog6uqaaxtdymjv5f1uhgz9hbs6
Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 AM

bloodcool is on a distinguished road

Hello jmd2479

Beautiful piece, very well orchestrated.
Which libraries did you use ?
Everything is in place but you might want to add some soul to it by working on the articulations and spaces.

For instance, it seems you only used close mics, which is a good idea to mix something as clean as possible, but might result with a lack of space.
And the human ear needs space to place instruments in a room (even if the room is perceived only by imagination).

Example : the staccato clarinets at 0'11 are a little too sharp. They would need to be there a little more (long staccatos would work better).
The timpani as well are a little too short. You could play with the mic used / release / compression / reverb and get something more realistic.
When the whole orchestra is playing, some notes ends are a little too short ; you could work on these ones and feel each instrument as if you played it for real, so you're not only the conductor but also each player.

Anyway, since everything is already in place, I'd suggest that you try to work on the realism (quite a hard thing to deal with), but you'll get something even more satisfying I think.

All the best to you