Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Piano Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Isolating Computers from Studio

In a previous forum post, http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/s...ad.php?t=53219 , I have asked about options that would enable me to to move my computers into a separate room. Since then, I have been able to manage by having everything slammed into a single room, but the time has come for me to make the switch.

Luckily for me, the room in question is literally on the other side of the wall, but I would like to set up everything so that it could be rehoused further away depending if my working accommodations change down the road. Recently, I have decided to look more into Dante, and the AVB products offered by MOTU, but I am not completely sure what I would have to purchase. My end goal is to have all of my computers out of the room, and only have my studio monitors, screens, audio interface, and usb devices left in my mixing studio. From speaking with MOTU, it seems if I want to house my hardware synths and computers in a separate location accessible by ethernet, I would have to use AVB over Ethernet. Right now this is not a high priority for me, so I do not think I need to start diving into the AVB deep end.

Here are my questions/dilemmas:

1) Depending on where I plan to house my server racks, I am dealing with about 9-30ft of distance that I need to cover. While I know that I can get active cables to extend usb devices, will this introduce too much latency for my audio interface/midi controllers?

2) If it is unwise just to extend my usb cables, would usb over ethernet be sufficient to keep my peripherals and audio interface in my studio room? Am I going to have to invest in a Audio interface with Ethernet, like a focusrite rednet?

3) If I want to house my hardware remotely, in addition to my computers, I was told by MOTU that I would need a master interface at my server location, and individual interfaces at any remote access points. I was also told I would need something to function as a master clock, but I am not entirely versed in what this is and how to set it up. Will I need to do this if for now, all I am interested in is getting my computers out of my room?

4) If I am going to be using usb/video, audio, and video over Ethernet, would it be wise to invest in additional Ethernet ports so that everything isnt running to a single port? If speed is an issue, I could aggregate some connections to make sure there are not any bottle necks, but I have not had the time to test this with VEP.

I have heard of these sort of setups, not for audio production, being made utilizing thunderbolt/thunderbolt hubs, but I have plenty of good cat7 gear lying around and a few Gigabit switches.

Thanks.

Slave: Windows 10, CPU-Xeon 2680, Radeon 240, MB-Asus x99 WS-E 3.1, 64GB DDR4, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (OS), 2x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB (Samples), WD 1TB HD (Storage).

Samples: EW Hollywood Orchestra, Gypsy, Solo Violin, Choirs (expansion), Spaces. CCX.

DAW- Cubase, Protools, VEP5, Keyboard- Alesis Q88, Midi Controller- Nektar Panorama P1
Old 02-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiousity, why do you need them in a separate room? Are you recording a lot of audio? If not, there's really no need for it....just get some quiet fans in your two computers if you're concerned about noise. And really, the newer machines hardly generate any heat. Seems like a lot of headaches involved if you wire them remotely.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

1) Heat is an issue as it the room I am working in is not greatly ventilated. It gets much worse in the summer as I am along the Gulf Coast. The room next to me, and another further away, are set up to host server equipment. As such, they have independent climate control and dedicated power lines running to them. I have already been told by an electrician that I am pushing the limits of my current room's wiring.

2) It has become exceedingly cramped in my work environment. I have been forced to increase the number of computers I am working with, and I am also running some additional computers for non-music related tasks. I have opted to use rack mounted cases so that way I am not stumbling over computers. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the room/bookshelves, there is nowhere for me to put the rack.

3) Some of the 2u fans are pretty loud. I think it is the power supplies that are the culprits. Furthermore, I have not found any decent cpu radiators or water coolers that fit in this size of chassis, so I am going to play it safe and move them into a cooler room.

4) The two rooms I have the choice of using, these have built in networking to other rooms of the building that could be used to access the everything. Unfortunately, the room I am working out of was not wired to take advantage of this. As such, I can just punch a hole through the wall and route everything. If I am going to have to adjust how I am working, due to space constraints, I want to set everything up so that I wont have to make an even more drastic change down the road. Hopefully everything will be able to kept in a centralized location that multiple people can take advantage of. When doing IT work and maintenance on the computers, not just being used for music, I would prefer everything to be in a single place that is easy to access.

5) Recording audio has also been problematic. The individual computers on their own are not too loud, but together, they add up.

Slave: Windows 10, CPU-Xeon 2680, Radeon 240, MB-Asus x99 WS-E 3.1, 64GB DDR4, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (OS), 2x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB (Samples), WD 1TB HD (Storage).

Samples: EW Hollywood Orchestra, Gypsy, Solo Violin, Choirs (expansion), Spaces. CCX.

DAW- Cubase, Protools, VEP5, Keyboard- Alesis Q88, Midi Controller- Nektar Panorama P1
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

If anyone is looking to a solution to that I was, Extron has some excellent usb extensions, along with other signals, over cat6.

Closed Thread