Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Decrink is on a distinguished road
Cool Extending note duration

Hi folks,
New to forum EW but old to music and recording which since my early days in Ď84 has been almost exclusively live instruments. I recently purchased EW Platinum and have been in my ProTools Daw learning MIDI, articulations, switching, and much more having read manual and worked through numerous online tutorials. Here is my problem:

I canít figure out how to get a violin note duration to play any longer than about 4 measures.

Sometime in the 90ís I wrote a short string quartet piece in Sibelius that started with a 1st violin playing a sustained D whole note for 7 measures before the cellos and viola start to interact with it. No matter what samples or articulations I choose, it ends after 4 measures. It does not do this in Sibelius where I wrote it and it plays back with the Sibelius synth like sounds just fine.
Iíve tried adding various controllers to the note and no luck. Iíve become obsessed with figuring out a single note on an old piece at the expense of a dozen other songs Iím working on.
Any help to get me over this hump would be appreciated.
Bill
Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Hey Decrink,

what sort of patch are you using? Please make sure that it's a sustained one.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs - "On Drives" is being Updated
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 01-19-2019, 08:39 AM

Default No patch is working

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW View Post
Hey Decrink,

what sort of patch are you using? Please make sure that it's a sustained one.
Iíve tried ever long patch from Master, the sus patches, individual patches. Iíve deleted the 8 measure tied whole notes and rewritten. My expectation is the a continuous violin D note but it always only plays for 2 of the 8 measures.

Iím missing something. As I said, it plays as written in Sibelius.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Default Iím stupefied.

If anyone has any ideas, I could sure use some new things to try. All other articulations in the piece are working correctly except this 1st 8 measure tied violin D note. The articulations that I would expect to ďloopĒ or repeat to sound like a sustained single note continue to end after 2 measures no matter what Iíve changed or tried. Could there be something embedded in the MIDI info file that I canít find?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 AM

QuestionGuy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to QuestionGuy

You can figure out if it has something do to with your MIDI if you play it live. Press the D note on your keyboard and see what happens.

info@tristanblaskowitz.com
www.tristanblaskowitz.com

Facebook
Twitter
Soundcloud
YouTube
Vimeo
Old 01-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

chlady is on a distinguished road

I would think it would be somewhat unrealistic for a violin to sustain that long non stop for 8 measures without a rebow. Perhaps thats why the sample doesn't work .

DP 9.5.1, Mac Pro 3.33 GHZ 12 core , OS 10.10.5, 64GB ram

EWQLSO Platinum Plus, EWSC, Fab Four, Gypsy, RA, Silk, EWSolo Violin, Pro Drummer, Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass,, Hollywood WW, Hollywood Percussion, Spaces, VE Pro 5, Komplete 11 ultimate, Arturia Collection5, Project Sam Symphobia, Spitfire Orchestra,
MOTU 2408mk3, UA Apollo 8, and UA plugins, SSD HDs,
Old 01-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Yes a note cannot last as long as you wish because of the playing style of the instrument. If the sample isn't looped in a artificial way it will fade out, you have to rebow the note.

A single violin has to rebow it after a certain amount of time. You can bow very slowly and maybe even create a note of 1 minute or so but it may be sound weak.

If a whole violin section in an orchestra is playing the phrase the single players can rebow slightly delayed to create an infinite sounding note.

If you are working with samples you sometimes have to do workarounds.

Facebook
Twitter
Soundcloud
YouTube
Vimeo
Old 01-23-2019, 07:49 PM

Default Sample length, rebowing, note duration

So, thank you all for the responses, it gave me some new ideas to solve.

1. I tried loading the sus samples in the stand alone PLAY outside of my ProTools DAW and sure enough, samples played forever (or as long as I held down the D note.) There was a noticeable change in tone and attack at about 7-8 seconds but then it kind of made a transition to a constant note.
2. I returned reopened the ProTools, loaded up a new test file and the same sus sample, and played the same key. 7-8 seconds then fade out and sample ended.
3. So, Iím still confused but in a new way.
4. Iím a multi instrumentalist and play violin (though not proficiently) and can definitely hold a note on one bow for longer than the sample duration. So, Iíve given up on trying to get EWSO to ďloopĒ a sample to give the duration I desire and would like advice on how you do the ďworkaroundĒ of reversing the bow feel.
I could always move the note back and forth between 1st and 2nd violin, but that seems forced.
Any hints on the workarounds some of you experienced users/composers use to get realistic sounds from the available samples (especially if sustained notes donít really work the way I expected) would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:45 PM

What library are you using exactly? Hollywood Strings or the Hollywood Solo Violin?

Facebook
Twitter
Soundcloud
YouTube
Vimeo
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 PM

Default Note Duration puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionGuy View Post
What library are you using exactly? Hollywood Strings or the Hollywood Solo Violin?
Iím using Symphonic Orchestra Platinum. Using the Solo Violin (1. Long OR 5. Keysw samples) and any SVL sus.

From the manual regarding sustained articulations:
ďSustain refers to a note which is held for as long as needed, but does not prepare for a following note. Many of these samples are looped, meaning that the sound will continue indefinitely until the Note-Off event. (Non-looped samples decay and end at some fixed time if no Note-Off is reached first.)Ē

This is the crux of my ongoing confusion in this particular instance.
Bill

Tags
duration, midi editing