Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Introduce Yourself

Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 PM

Fealow is on a distinguished road
Default First time east west user here!

Hey everyone, the names Luke and i've been a hobbyist composer/arranger/producer for a number of years now.

I recently signed up to composer cloud for the orchestral libraries that it offers and I must say that they sound great so far! I'm a big fan of the orchestra and love to hear one playing just about any genre or style of music. If i had to choose one use of an orchestra as my favourite though my preference would have to be video game sound tracks.

It would be ideal if someday I could take my hobby and passion for video game music and turn it into something profitable as well as enjoyable.

I have a fairly decent understanding of music theory behind me, but i could always learn much more. My one major downfall though (in my opinion at least) is that I can't really sight read at all. I just about know the very basics of what im looking at if i pick up a piece of music, but i couldn't play it live if my life depended on it!

With my new subscription in mind I plan to spend some quality time getting to know the orchestra better and how to write for it. I do have some understanding already based on my personal research of the individual instruments, their range, function and limitations etc... but there are still a lot of mysterious writing techniques that elude me. For example using runs effectively as FX and to create textures. I'm also beginning to get my head around creating a lot of movement between the color/character palettes within the orchestra, but I imagine that will come more easily over time.

Anyways thanks for reading, hopefully i'll meet some people that can teach me a thing or two and have some decent discussion on the orchestra with.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard!

Similarly I can't really read music well either.
But for me the biggest problem is production. Ideally I'd write a piece and hand it over to an orchestra, but the extra work needed to make a sample library sound great is something I'm crap at!

Much to learn all round. Have fun!
Hollywood Orchestra Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum
https://soundcloud.com/jamie-treacher
Old 05-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboo View Post
Welcome aboard!

Similarly I can't really read music well either.
Same here (embarrassingly). As funny as it sounds, I'm starting piano lessons this summer, which I'm hoping will open a door to new musical inspiration.