Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 11-19-2017, 10:20 PM

zipfunk is on a distinguished road
Default Switching articulations

I've recently purchased Hollywood Orchestra and have been working on switching articulations.
What I've started to do is load a few articulations in the PLAY app of a certain instrument.
Then I go to each articulation and change the channel number to whatever I choose.
I then go my Event Viewer in Logic, select the notes I want to change the articulation and choose whatever Channel number I've assigned.

Keeping in mind I've only had EW stuff for not quite a week this may be a short sighted way of going about this.

If anyone has any better ways of doing this or can point out how this could be a bad idea moving forward Let me know.

Drew

Last edited by zipfunk; 11-19-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-20-2017, 01:42 AM

ecurb is on a distinguished road

Hi Drew,

I sometimes do a similar thing in Reaper... and sometimes just use a separate track for each articulation. I'd say there's pros and cons, and whatever's working for you is a good thing.

One thing that may be a problem doing it the way you are, depending on just how Logic handles it, is how the assignment of controllers works on the track. So if for example a couple of your articulations use mod wheel to control expression/volume, another one uses it to control vibrato and another one uses it to switch between different short articulations, it can get really messy trying to manage those CC curves across different MIDI channels within the one track.

Cheers
Bruce.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:24 AM

zipfunk is on a distinguished road

Good point Bruce.
Thank you for the quick reply.
I'll keep doing what I'm doing (which is a little bit of column A and column B, separate tracks and different channels as well)

I'll keep an eye out for CC issues as well. Didn't think of that.

Drew
Old 11-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

wagtunes is on a distinguished road

I'm assuming you're loading the keyswitch samples. If not, ignore the rest of this reply.

Why not just hand type the keyswitches where they belong on the piano roll? This way, you can get everything on one track. No need for duplicate tracks or extra channels.

It's possible I'm missing something as far as what you're doing and trying to accomplish.

The only time I use multiple tracks is when I know I'm going to do so much keyswitching that I can't be bothered with it as it would become extremely tedious and break the continuity of what I'm doing. But if the switches are few and far apart, I'll toss everything onto one track.

It all comes down to the complexity of the piece and what you're comfortable with.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

wcreed51 is on a distinguished road

HO is mostly not keyswitched
Kontakt, VSL VI, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
August Forster 190
Old 11-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcreed51 View Post
HO is mostly not keyswitched
There should be one keyswitched load for each instrument. At least there is in the individual Gold editions that I have unless something has changed.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:03 PM

ecurb is on a distinguished road

Are you thinking of Symphonic Orchestra, wagtunes? OP was about Hollywood Orchestra. Either way, Hollywood strings in particular don't really have any cross-articulation key switches... a couple of patches that will play on a different string based on key switching but that's about it.

EDIT: Sorry, correcting myself - there is a key switch patch in strings, it's limit is it doesn't include any of the shorts, or any of the legato patches which are probably the sweetest and most powerful part of the library. So - can't do it all with key switching anyway.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

Marcusmax is on a distinguished road

Best way to manage articulation changing within Logic is to use SkiSwitcher. It includes a script for applying all CC's to all articulations within an instance of Play. It works brilliantly and is very easy to setup.

http://www.skiswitcher.com/upgrade-from-ss2
Mac Mini Server, 2.0 GHz i7 quad core, 16 GB ram / Slave PC, 3.4 GHz i7 quad, 32 GB ram, 275 GB SSD for libraries / macOS 10.12.6, Windows 7 Pro / Logic Pro X 10.3.3 / Sibelius 6.2 / Metric Halo ULN-2+DSP / Dynaudio BM5A monitors.

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / Symphonic Choirs Gold / EW Solo Violin / Spaces / Stormdrum / The Dark Side / Ghostwriter / Ra + other libraries.

"Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marcusmax

CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/duberry
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb View Post
Are you thinking of Symphonic Orchestra, wagtunes? OP was about Hollywood Orchestra. Either way, Hollywood strings in particular don't really have any cross-articulation key switches... a couple of patches that will play on a different string based on key switching but that's about it.

EDIT: Sorry, correcting myself - there is a key switch patch in strings, it's limit is it doesn't include any of the shorts, or any of the legato patches which are probably the sweetest and most powerful part of the library. So - can't do it all with key switching anyway.
Gotcha. So in other words, the best way to play various articulations in a piece is to load each articulation separately on each individual track.

To answer your question though, I own the following EWQL products pertaining to the orchestra, though I do own just about everything else including Fab Four and all the ethnic libraries.

Hollywood Brass Gold
Hollywood Strings Gold
Hollywood Woodwinds Gold
Symphonic Orchestra

I am currently thinking about upgrading all the orchestral stuff to diamond in order to get the close mic positions.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

wcreed51 is on a distinguished road

>> Gotcha. So in other words, the best way to play various articulations in a piece is to load each articulation separately on each individual track.

No, that's not what was said. You load each articulation on an individual channel.
Kontakt, VSL VI, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
August Forster 190

Tags
logic pro, switching articulations