Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-02-2018, 08:47 AM

woodsglen is on a distinguished road
Default hollywood choirs with a daw - inaudible

does anyone have any tips on using the HW Choirs voices with a DAW ( cakewalk sonar) by playing the parts in a midi track

ive played a simple phrase for soprano using - 1st - a piano - then a sustaining instrument like an organ.
No luck with either one. the voice is barely audible when i copy the midi track into the play folder ( the instrument track generated by play ).

I'll start here and wait for some suggestions.

Thanks
WG
Old 05-02-2018, 10:48 AM

just a note - my midi instrument level on the midi track is near 0 DB

then.. when i bring the track into the play folder, the ( choir) voice is barely registering on the vu meters.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

slinky is on a distinguished road

Have you played with an expression pedal assigned to volume, modulation etc.?
Or tried drawing a curve in your daw for one one of those CCs?
Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 - 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples - RME Multiface II - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - Cubase 5 64 bit - Omnisphere - Trillian - RMX -Hollywood Orch Gold -EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics - QL Choirs - Gypsy - SD1 - SD2 Pro - QL Pianos Gold - QL RA - Fab Four - Ministry of Rock - Reaktor - Memphis Horns - Ethno World II - Garritan Strings.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM

I have gathered that in reading the documentation. I'll need to look at cakewalk and figure out how to set that. from what I father the pitch wheel controls the volume of the voice in PLAY?...

Thanks for your replay.

Wayne
Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 PM

here's a clue..
if I set up ( soprano voice ) and just play the default words when wordbuilder opens up, that I hear it fine. I typed the first word on my soprano part... Sing.. spelled SEEng.

play the line in sonar.. one short burst is fine, thenits like the gain is turned off completely. i can go back to the beginning of the line in sonar ( with the midi notes driving PLAY ) and reset the cursor in WB.. and still.. nothin!

Volume is all the way up in the automation lane ( which had a clear effect until I type a word in word builder )

For the record... I'm taking the PLAY 1 instrument that I dropped the midi data into ( and the only instance of PLAY ) .... selecting the voice :
Hollywood choirs - HC Women - going to player and selecting Wordbuilder typing text.. 1 word so far..

Hmm... looks like word builder / PLAY is not responding at all now. I can't get out of player.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Try moving the MOD wheel before the phrase is triggered in the actual track (as you are playing it back). If that works, you'll need to record that CC MIDI data right at the beginning.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:32 PM

and if I don't have a mod wheel?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Solved

Solved - thanks to support.

The Hollywood series needs MIDI CC content to set/adjust the volume. In Sonar, please try going to Project >> MIDI >> Preferences and turning off "Zero controllers when play stops" and "Patch/Controller Searchback Before Play Starts”

In Sonar Platinum the menu and MIDI preferences have changed. The corresponding settings are now located at Edit >> Preferences >> Project >> MIDI.
The options to uncheck are called “Zero Controllers When Play Stops” and “MIDI Event Chase on Play”.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Glad you have it sorted out!

This is why having a MOD wheel helps, as the choirs (and many other EW libraries) rely on these CC's for realism; and without triggering the CC before the tracks start, there's no volume. You can certainly draw them in manually, but ultimately a physical controller is the way to go.