Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box > INSTRUMENTS - Suggestions
View Poll Results: How would you like these new choir suggestions to be made available?
Put them as an addition to Symphonic Choirs 47 42.73%
Add them as part of Hollywood Choirs 64 58.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Med8r is on a distinguished road

Do the vowels and consonants recorded with SC not lend themselves well to German phrases?

My Specs
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z68 PSU: Corsair 650W CPU: Intel i5 2500K Quad-Core (3.3GHz) Studio Monitors: M-Audio BX5 D2 Audio Interface: Lexicon Alpha SSD: Crucial m4 512GB RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Home Premium Software: Finale 2012c Reaper Kontakt 5

EWQL: HB Diamond, HS Diamond, HOW Gold, HOP Diamond, SO Platinum, Pianos Platinum, SD3, SD2 Pro, Solo Violin, RA, SC, SILK, Gypsy, Goliath, Spaces
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

boulifb is on a distinguished road

No. Not even in French.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Or how about allowing the soloist patches to use Wordbuilder...
Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Annabelle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Annabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
Or how about allowing the soloist patches to use Wordbuilder...
That's one of the questions I've been asking as well.

Music is the key to happiness and Joy. While the home of peace and harmony is The City Of Brotherly Love. Welcome home to Philadelphia!

Hardware:
Rockbox MC5XS Desktop, Intel Core I5 Processor, 3.30GHZ, 500GB Primary Drive, 1TB Recording Drive, 1TB Samples Drive, Motu 896HD Audio Interface, Akai MPK25 MIDI Controller
Software:
Windows 7 64 Bit, JAWS (Job Access With Speech) 10.0 Screenreader, Caketalking 8.5 for Sonar Accessibility Software, Sonar 8.5 Producer Edition, Play VST 64 Bit
Eastwest Quantum Leap Instruments:
Goliath, Gypsy, Pianos, RA, Stormdrums 2, Symphonic Choirs, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Voices Of Passion
Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 PM

PigSlop is on a distinguished road

I think adding them as an expansion to SC would kind of bypass the point of the entire Hollywood series, and that is to record every section of the orchestra in a consistent manner in regards to natural hall reverb, mic positions, sound engineering, etc.

What I would expect from a "Hollywood Choirs" library would be this same consistency -- seamless integration and mixing with the rest of the libraries. This also extends to the technical ways in which we control these libraries with CC11 and CC1, which may or may not be the same with SC. (In all honesty, I haven't had SC all that long and I haven't used it in a real score yet, so take these uneducated thoughts for what they're worth)

All this having been said, I would LOVE to see Hollywood Choirs go places that VOTA tread in the past, using the PLAY engine. The angels/demons patches from VOTA were heavily used in my last film, and I would love to see more variation on that idea, in addition to haunting children's choirs and soloists across the range. Voices of Passion is great but I find it lacking in some of these key areas, and it wasn't developed with the Hollywood series in mind.

Just my $0.02.

Jonathan
Old 08-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Silver Member

I'd also like to have true legato versions of all the choir sections, as well as the soloists. Another thing I'd like to see is an enhanced version of Wordbuilder that supports different languages like French, Russian, Japanese, and Spanish.

Music is the key to happiness and Joy. While the home of peace and harmony is The City Of Brotherly Love. Welcome home to Philadelphia!

Hardware:
Rockbox MC5XS Desktop, Intel Core I5 Processor, 3.30GHZ, 500GB Primary Drive, 1TB Recording Drive, 1TB Samples Drive, Motu 896HD Audio Interface, Akai MPK25 MIDI Controller
Software:
Windows 7 64 Bit, JAWS (Job Access With Speech) 10.0 Screenreader, Caketalking 8.5 for Sonar Accessibility Software, Sonar 8.5 Producer Edition, Play VST 64 Bit
Goliath, Gypsy, Pianos, RA, Stormdrums 2, Symphonic Choirs, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Voices Of Passion
Old 08-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

lejmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
I'd also like to have true legato versions of all the choir sections, as well as the soloists. Another thing I'd like to see is an enhanced version of Wordbuilder that supports different languages like French, Russian, Japanese, and Spanish.
Unfortunately I don't think we'll get support for all of these languages, especially not if we get true legato as well. Think about it. Right now we can load maybe 2 legato patches per 4 GB of RAM, meaning we can with the normal 24 GB being the limit load about 12 legato patches. There are about 16 vowel sounds (depending on the language), and all of them need legato transitions. Then mm's, nn's need legato transitions as well. That's a total of 19 legato transitions that need to be recorded. And then times 4 to get all the sections (or 6 if they include a boys choir and a girls choirs), as well as the soloists. We total in about 152 to 228 legato transition patches. That would require 300-450 GB of RAM. An that is just for the legatos.

Windows 7 can only support 192 GB RAM, so 300-450 is way too high for them to be able to make a profit. Only A-list composers that can have computer farms running their samples will be able to make use of the library if they go that detailed, and it would cost a ton of money to make because of all the time they would need to record it.

So if they do another choir collection, we'll probably have to make due with english or latin (probably latin). And we will most likely get maybe 4 legato patches per section and soloist. (My guess would be mm's, ah's, oh's and eh's).
My name is Anthony (birthname Anton) Berlin, and I am a professional composer living in Sweden. I'm not going to bore you with which sample libraries I own, but I'd love to have a chat with you, about everything between heaven and earth. Take care!

www.anthonyberlin.com
SoundCloud
Old 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Any other voters out there? It seems that the ones who want Hollywood Choirs are winning, as the results for that option comes to 60%.

Hardware:
Software:
Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

christerholm is an unknown quantity at this point

A totally new choir would be awesome. Even at this day, the old SC is still great, but imagine a brand new state-of-the-art choir by EW, with all the experience from SC, that would be a real winner.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM

victorulez is on a distinguished road

Am I the only one who desire a gospel-spiritual choir?
OSX 10.6.8
Logic Pro 9.1.7
EW Play 3.0.39
Closed Thread